cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gator957
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

scheduled scan locks up mid way through scan

The scheduled scanner will lock up sometimes anywhere between 50% complete and 95% complete ( I scan daily)  and it will also lock up  the other programs as well . I have to turn computer off and restart it becuase it will not respond to any commands . Sometimes this only will happen once a week and other times a few days in a row . I have attached a windows XP error log for review, any help you can give me would be much appreciated 

1 Reply
epsilon
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: scheduled scan locks up mid way through scan

Hi gator957,

This sounds like a similar problem to that reported in different guises in several threads here (see for example https://community.mcafee.com/message/203914#203914 a week ago or https://community.mcafee.com/thread/38280?start=0&tstart=0 with problems scanning files on a DVD drive but with otherwise similar symptoms - for some reason, although there are all these reports of similar problems with scanning hang-ups, McAfee don't seem to be linking them or doing much about them - don't understand why).

Certain files or file types cause scheduled scanning to slow to a snail's pace and lock up the computer while doing so.  The scan doesn't actually stop but slows right down, typically with the drive accessing continuously but little CPU activity.  If you waited long enough, you would probably find that the computer would eventually emerge at the end of the scan.  I reckoned that in my own case, a full scan would take close to a week whereas, before the broken software update, it used to take less than an hour.

McAfee VirusScan whitelists some files once scanned and doesn't scan them again until new definitions are issued.  This probably accounts for the erratic occurrence of the problem.  Your problem files simply don't get scanned every time.

McAfee's solution to the problem seems to be to locate the files or folders on which the scan gets stuck and put them into a manual whitelist which will never get scanned again.  I did this as a temporary workaround and it at least allows my scans to finish although still taking longer than before and behaving in an unusable way while a scan is in progress.  You might wish to try this but, as far as I'm concerned, it is an unsatisfactory solution.

In my case, this has now been the situation for a few months and I'm not happy.  McAfee may eventually come up with a fix to their scanner but don't hold your breath!  I shall not be around to find out.  I've just been waiting to see out my existing McAfee subscription and then  I'm off to a different security provider.  This time has now arrived.

Regards,

e.

Message was edited by: epsilon, added some links to previous reports of similar problems on 07/09/11 18:07:36 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community