Message 12 of 18

RE: scaning freezes on .xml files

Flagged for admin
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 18

Could you also advise whether it is Vista 32 or 64-bit?
Slice812
Former Member
Message 14 of 18

Thought I did, Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP 2, 4 Gig RAM, Plenty of open HD space
Ran again tonite and got to 32% before stopping on another small .xml file. Getting pretty old
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 18

Not much I can offer I'm afraid except to make sure your system is totally up to date with Microsoft updates, both critical and non-critical as that can mnake a difference.

VirusScan seizes up basically because it can't unwrap a file. This can be beuase either the file is corrupt or it is sitting on part of the hard drive that has disk read errors.

To deal with the first one should move the offending file(s) elsewhere such as optical media ot an external hard drive.

For the second go to Start/Run and enter chkdsk /r (with the spaces) in XP.

In Vista Start and in the Start Search box type cmd. When the Command Prompt appears in the search results box above right-click it and select "Run as Administrator". Type in the black box chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Both system will object and state that the volume is in use, check at next boot Y/N?

Type Y and click the Enter key.

Type exit in CMD and hit Enter.

Reboot.
Slice812
Former Member
Message 16 of 18

Have already tried the chkdsk /r function, It found no issues. This is not a problem with my PC, Windows or the file system. This is a McAfee glitch. Sounds like it might be time to uninstall this P.O.S. and find a better Virus Scan program, which shouldn't be too diffficult.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 18

Why don't you try submitting one of the problem files to VirusTotal, last link in my signature and see what all the different virus scanners say about it?
Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 18

We will also bring this up in our call tomorrow and remind you in a month or so there is a new Mcafee suite out which might work more to your liking.

Ok noticed you have a Dell so have you Mcafee via Dell or Purchased separatelySo what version of Total protection are you using? ?(ok see you have 13.3 so new version)

I have over 2555 xml files on My C drive, (vista ultimate) and all scan without incident.

Using beta 9.11 version though
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community