Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ludd_gang
Contributor
Message 31 of 48

Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

Thanks, Peter.

I have also posted here: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/41740?tstart=0

In short, a text file: {9B49996C-6291-4616-B5B4-03791ACB464C} located at C:\ProgramData\McAfee\msc\logs jumped out at me.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 48

It's possible I suppose but I have 1 item detected - a false Artemis detection of Nero SmartErase which I've submitted to McAfee Labs for investigation.  That was detected on 29 Dec.  So I am getting detections, albeit wrong ones, however no Tracking Cookies at all.

I have made this a topic for our next call.

novirus2d
Contributor
Message 33 of 48

Yes, in my post above, I merely included a copy of my earlier ticket comment to customer service wherein I referenced this thread.

For what it's worth, and I am sure this is utterly irrelevent and riduculous, however what I have noticed is also something that has *never* happened before in my more than a decade using McAfee products, and has *only* started to happen since the 22 December problem began:

I keep a desktop McAfee Security Center shortcut icon on my desktop.  For the last many years, I have had that icon read only "McAfee".  Since 22 December, I have now noticed that, regardless of how many times I re-title the icon "McAfee", it somehow re-titles itself back to the full "McAfee Security Center" nomenclature over and over again.  Additionally, the icon now periodically repostions itself elsewhere on the Desktop from where I prefer to position it.  Both of these are things that had *never* happened before.

Relevent?  Probably not.  Significant?  Again, probably not.  Silly & ridiculous?  Probably so, lol.  Something that has *only* begun concurrent with the 22 December ignoring-tracking-cookies McAfee problem?  Absolutely and without question.  Coincidence?  For much more knowledgeable people/programmers than I to determine.

novirus2d
Contributor
Message 34 of 48

My only hope is that the folks on the front line at McAfee care enough to let the head honchos know.  My guess, from this thread having remained unattended to since its 22 December inception almost two weeks ago, and from the skeptical & patronizing manner in which my inquiry was received by McAfee Customer Service, is that those folks probably do not so care.  Even if the 'front liners' do not frequent these forums, people who are 'genuinely' in-the-know must now be, at the very least, aware of this question by now.  Sure this forum is merely for the masses, but one would hope that, for no other reason than curiosity, the higher-ups would pop in from time to time to see what their customers are up to.  For no other reasons than sheer disbelief, incredulity, curiosity and a desire to put to rest such fantastic claims, the engineers should be bird-dogging this one.  By now, this thread should have seen an official response to the effect that: 1) This is not a McAfee generated issue, therefore there is nothing we can do to address it, or 2) We have identified the problem, and an update will shortly be released that will address and rectify the issue.  Instead, it looks to be kicked down to one of the 'next conference calls"...possibly.  I sincerely hope that it is eventually attended to.

From my conversation today, it was apparent that not even McAfee Customer Service reps. check their quarantine file (he admitted that he does not).  Probably, this is because of the never-attended-to issue with the program hanging when one attempts to open it if it has not been emptied for a long time.  (I learned to get around this by emptying it on a daily basis.)  Thus, such a person is unable to testify to what I and many other are clearly seeing: a total absense of any detected tracking cookies.  Hopefully, the real head head head honchos use McAfee too (lol) and are versed with efficiently examining (not emptying, because this can be done via the Window OS) their quarantine file.  If so, hopefully they care enough about their own systems, at least lol, to observe this anomaly and to see that it is addressed.

This is very out of character for McAfee.  But hey, I guess the thinking is: once you've arrived at the top of the mountain, you no longer need concern yourself with having to do a great job to get there.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 48

Oh I am sure they will note it as a bug if they haven't done so already with people phoning support.   There isn't much point in having a setting for it in Real-Time Scanning if it isn't going to work.

dbenjaminod
Former Member
Message 36 of 48

I'm sort of relieved to find this thread. 

After the christmas break I came back after letting McAfee do it's thing and when I checked my Incoming Threats yesterday I noticed that my last Tracking Cookie auto-removal was on the 22/12/11.  Now normally I only ever get Tracking Cookies in that section (actually that's all I usually get) with my surfing habits and visiting specific sites reguarly.  But I was worried that maybe it's not tracking everything as well.  The firewall does appear to be working as I'm still receiving logs about incoming connections that have failed, and the fact it's been since the 22 and everything seems perfectly fine and clean.

Malwarebytes is happy, McAfee hasn't noticed anything amis and I've been cleaning the computer with the McAfee quick clean on occasions too. 

Just wondering when we'll know this issue is going to be sorted, I know you've mentioned in the past Ex_Brit, about how Tracking Cookies are pretty harmless, especially if you computer is managed well but I'm not absolutely happy with how the product is apparently not recognizing/stopping these things when it was before.  I have to agree though it is rather odd that this "bug" or whatever it is, has not been corrected yet after 2 or so weeks?

Rather glad that I'm in the same boat as many, was worried it was something about the computer.  But seems a lot of people have this problem and it started around the same time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 37 of 48

It's the subject of a conference call next Monday afternoon.    I'll post the outcome.   It certainly shouldn't be ignoring them if set to trap them.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 48

Am on the call with McAfee as we speak.   This is by design for performance and other considerations.   The option to detect Tracking Cookies (which now doesn't work) will eventually disappear from the interface.   McAfee are going to give us an official announcement about it so we can perhaps go into it in more detail.

Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 39 of 48

Will have to hear all the details obviously, But the tracking cookies thing was the main reason I stuck with McAfee - when it comes to renewal  I will probably be looking at Malwarebytes Pro or MSE

Message was edited by: Unhappy-bunny on 09/01/12 21:57:40 GMT

Message was edited by: Unhappy-bunny on 09/01/12 21:59:01 GMT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 48

Tracking cookies are how you are remembered by websites and are harmless basically.   If one allowed an infection in then that infection would be caught in the usual manner.   The only difference here is that tracking cookies themselves are no longer stripped from the system.

Malwarebytes Pro (or free) is meant to be used as a supplement to an antivirus not to replace it.

A quote from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it.  A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

MSE is merely antivirus/spyware and makes you rely on Windows own firewall for that side of the protection protection, which means it is a one-way firewall whereas a software firewall protects 2-way.

That's your prerogative of course.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community