Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ludd_gang
Contributor
Message 41 of 48

Re: realtime scanning not detecting cookies

Thanks for checking into this, Peter.

Not surprised to hear they are discontinuing the cookie tracking: The flood of detections obscured important log events. Plus, if you let the quarantine fill up too full, it would be impossible to delete them all through the interface. Not to mention, back-ups would include the BUP's, taking up disk space and time. (That's why I would  delete the quarantine daily!)

Perhaps they will offer a different McAfee product that is better fitted to the task. In the meantime, on to Malware Bytes....

Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 42 of 48

At the moment I use the free Malwarebytes with McAfee, I will obviously have to do some research. I must have misread previously as I thought because the Pro version included realtime protection that it would suffice - either own or in conjunction with MSE.

When I had a (different ) issue with McAfee and I had weeks of issues (people not calling when they said they would etc) I stuck with McAfee instead of  using MSE  (which was what I was advised to use by the IT Tech service engineer from the company which I brought the PC from ) as I liked having the choice re tracking cookies.

Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 43 of 48

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if the tracking cookies are not being stripped from the system will quick clean still clean them out?

Also I think  we should have the choice if we want them detected or not  ( at the risk of repeating myself that was one of the things I liked about McAfee) I know that you can change your settings but  just ticking a box was much simpler.

I do appreciate you finding out for us what was going on.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 44 of 48

Malwarebytes Pro does contain real-time anti-malware protection but not anti-virus protection as per the quote in my previous post.   Whilst the boundary between the two can be blurred it is recommended by MBAM themselves to still use an antivirus.

Ask the question on their forums if you aren't sure.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/12 6:53:50 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 45 of 48

Forgot to answer re: Quickclean...yes you can get rid of them there, but that cleans either Flash cookies or all cookies depending on settings, the same as if you went into your browser settings and did it from there.

Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 46 of 48

I definitely need to do some further research (I have just been nosing around their forum  I also never knew that MBAM did not scan archived files either.)

Also re quickclean , so tracking cookies that would of been stopped  such as Yieldmanager can I get rid of them via quick clean? - cause I used to accumilate ALOT of them.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 47 of 48

Yes just go down to the lower part of Settings and you'll see the box for cookies for Firefox and Internet Explorer.

It only supports those two and as I said the same can be done in the browsers' own settings.

In Chrome click the spanner over at the top right on any page and select Tools/Clear Browsing Data and follow the prompts.

Unhappy-bunny
Former Member
Message 48 of 48

Great  I delete both chrome and IE almost daily as you described I just wanted to check there was nowhere else that they could hide  ( I 've also started deleting temp files [ I think it was your good self who told me how to] by Start- Run-temp etc. Thanks again.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community