Did you mean: 
rpn5045
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

reall time scan locking files and not releasing

VirusScan version 13.3
build: 13.3.117
engine version: 5301.4018

I am running Vista Ultimate SP1. If I have real time scan enabled, open a file with Word and try to save it I get an error that the file is locked by another application. I will also get an error when I open Outlook that the .PST file can not be opened that it is locked by another application.

If I have real time scan disabled I do not have these problems.

Do I dump McAfee or does someone have a solution?
9 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

RE: reall time scan locking files and not releasing

Is this a HP machine?

Did it have any other security application prior to McAfee?
rpn5045
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

No, it is a Dell Inspiron E1505
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Let's try to open Outlook in safe mode
to do so

click start

type outlook.exe /safemode and hit enter

now close all the PSTs and close OUTlook

re-open outlook normally and then import the PST again
rpn5045
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using.

I am using Office 2007 if it matters any. I am having this problem with any program I use. Word Outlook, Excel, Streets & Trips, all programs seem to have the problem that "another program has locked the file" and I can not save/Edit while real time protection is on.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

oops... try type outlook.exe /safe
rpn5045
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Cannot start Microsoft Office outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.

It will stay this way until I turn off real time scanning and reboot the computer.
rpn5045
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Ok, from the lack of useful information it looks like I remove all McAfee products from the computer and find something that works without all the problems.
EdE
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

May have found bug and workaround in real time scan

I had the same problem starting around 3/15/09. In my case, only Office 2007 files stored on a network drive were affected. I am running Vista Home Premium.

I could open an Office 2007 file from the network drive if it hadn't been touched since before the McAfee update. However, I would get a "file in use" error when I tried to save the file back to the network drive. Once the file was opened and closed, it could no longer be opened, moved, or copied because of a "file in use" error.

These issues apply only to MS Office 2007 files - all others work fine.

After much frustration and experimenting, I found a workaround that seems to fix:

Disable real-time scanning of network drives

It appears that an update issued sometime around 3/15/09 does bad things to Office 2007 files. It looks like a temp file is being created by something other than Office (McAfee?) when the file is opened and not being released/deleted. It's not possible to delete the temp file, even as an administrator. The temp filenames are of the form: 2F4ABDD.tmp

Hope this helps someone.

Ed
rpn5045
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

RE: May have found bug and workaround in real time scan

I found the solution. I deleted McAfee.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community