cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevin40
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

"An error occured while updating. Please reinstall these programs"

Hi, I have three computers running McAfee. Each are as different as they can be: Windows 2000, XP, and Vista; a desktop, laptop, and home theater PC. In fact, McAfee is the only application which is installed on all three computers.

In the last week, all three have popped up an alert window with the error message "An error occured while updating. Please reinstall these programs: VirusScan"

I've gone into McAfee's "SecurityCenter" on each and initiated an update, which does not generate any error.

What is going on here? Is McAfee pushing out bad updates that corrupted the application on all three computers?

Also, I have never had an application tell me to reinstall itself, and I'm stunned that McAfee considers this to be acceptable behavior for a program. I have read other threads with this same error and it seems that the only solution was to completely remove McAfee and reinstall it. If I have to do this on all three computers, I'll do the "remove" but that's it -- surely there are other antivirus products that don't corrupt themselves and require reinstallation.

Here are the details for two of the three:

Computer A (Win2K)
VirusScan
Version: 13.3
Build: 13.3.115
Language Pack: 13.3.111
DAT Version: 5531.0000
Engine Version: 5300.2777

Computer B (WinXP)
VirusScan
Version: 13.0
Build: 13.0.218
Language Pack: 13.0.218
DAT Version: 5531.0000
Engine Version: 5300.2777
Tags (2)
12 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

"An error occured while updating. Please reinstall these programs"

Hi Kevin,

Please clarify the following:

1. When does this message occur? Whenever restart the computer or during normal operation.
2. What are the versions of all the McAfee programs?
3. If possible, paste the screenshots regarding the error message?
MasterEdTC
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I've had the same problem

The message occurs after the product auto-searches for updates. I have installed the most recent version of VirusScan Plus from the McAfee website and gone through the 1st layer of support, "McAfee Virtual Technician" - which I initially thought had remedied the problem, but it still occurs.
kevin40
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

RE: "An error occured while updating. Please reinstall these programs"

1. It occurs during normal operation. Sometimes the message is waiting for me in the
morning, other times it interrupts me while I am working.

Computer A: Windows 2000 SP4
SecurityCenter version 9.3, build 9.3.137
VirusScan version 13.3, build 13.3.115
Personal Firewall: Version 10.3, build 10.3.106

Computer B:null Windows XP MCE 2002 SP3
SecurityCenter version 9.0 build 9.0.295
VirusScan version 13.0, build 13.0.218
Personal Firewall: version 10.0, build 10.0.209

Computer C: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
SecurityCenter version 9.0, build 9.0.295
VirusScan version 13.0, build 13.0.218
Personal Firewall: version 10.0, build 10.0.209

Those are the only three McAfee products installed. I opted not to install the other components.

3. I do not have screen shots of the message but the text is exactly as I wrote in my original post. There are many reports of this message on the web so I had expected that it would be familiar. I will try to make a copy of it if/when I see it next but I don't think we should wait for that.

Incidentally, McAfee Virtual Technician didn't find any issues when I ran it on Computer A. I didn't try it on the others since there didn't seem to be any benefit.

Thanks,
Kevin
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

RE: "An error occured while updating. Please reinstall these programs"

There was a bad update sent out. A quick solution was discovered by another customer.

Go to your VirusScan folder and delete the contents of the DAT folder, not the folder itself.

C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT (if the drive letter is different then adjust accordingly)

The Security Center will now say it needs fixing. Clicking Fix may work but selecting Updates manually most definitely will.

Technical Support staff should be aware of this.
reallyticked
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Error with update

I had the same problem as Kevin40. I did as Ex Brit suggested, I emptied the Dat folder, went back and tried to manually update. I now find I'm in the RED mode. I ran MVT, it said Dat was out of date and "1 service wasn't running". I did a "run services.msc" and found my Real time scan is LOCKED in pause mode. I am totally unable to do anything about it because all of the start options are in grey. It is set to start automatically, but it won't. I've done a reboot several times and it doesn't change it. NOW WHAT????
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 13

RE: Error with update

Something must have been running when you did that. So now your best option is the following.

Enable Windows Firewall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, not from any CD that you may have.
reallyticked
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

That's what I was afraid of. I'm well acquainted with the removal tool, I usually do a search for anything McAfee after rebooting. Having to keep doing this is a real PITA. I would think McAfee, for as long as they have been in business, would check to see what is in these updates and the consequences to the user for downloading a BAD one. Seems there are an awful lot of "BAD ONES". This is my 3rd reinstall since updating to the 2009 version from the 2008. I had the same problem with the 2008 version too.

For whatever reason these updates cause the "Real time scanner" to stay in paused mode. I can't even count how many times it's done that. Maybe they could set up the Virtual Technician so it could restart it without all of this other fooling around. With Dial-up service it takes roughly 8 hours to download from the website. Like I said a real PITA!!!!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 13

There's always Technical Support Chat linked in my signature. Maybe they know something I don't.
reallyticked
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Right now I can't even download from the website!!!!! The download manager hangs up on "downloading compatibility checker". It sat there for 3 hours so I know it's hanging up. Every time I go to my account IE freezes up too. I get Internet Explorer is not responding, no kidding!! I got past log in, then it went to the Terms page and froze there. I can't even get into my account right now so I really am ticked!!!

Let me give you my impression of Technical support. Every time I've used it I get someone who speaks broken English, doesn't understand the problem, and tries to give you the run around (for hours at times). They read some script on "How To". I have never had a problem solved using Technical support. I get more answers from this forum, that's why I come here instead of going to Tech support. The people here offer better solutions than Tech support.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community