cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ced2
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

phantom mcafee updates prevent running scans

I am running Windows 7 on an HP4540s laptop, and McAfee Security Center.  I have McAfee updates set to “notify when updates are available”, so that I am aware when updates are downloaded and installing.  I also have a scan scheduled every Monday morning.  The last three weeks, the scan has not run as scheduled. 

When I right click on the McAfee symbol in the system tray to check if the scan has run, or if not, to see the scheduled start time, there is no response and “Security Center” will not open.

When I double left click the McAfee symbol a message balloon appears:  “…installing updates…”.   However, I believe this is a phantom process and that updates are NOT being downloaded and installed because (1) the message that “updates are available” did not appear that morning, (2) Task Manager shows no activity, and (3) the “blue updating wheel” is not present on the McAfee symbol. I typically wait 30 minutes to one hour for this phantom process to complete, before I do the restarts and shut downs described below. (Message will stay indefinitely otherwise). 

To force an end to the “…installing updates…”, I first do a restart, but have found this does not end or remove the message. Then I do two or three shut downs and start-ups and finally the “installing updates” process ends.  Then I can right click on “Security Center” and either manually initiate the scan or let the scan start at the new rescheduled start time.

Unless I do all of this, I am unable to run a scan on my laptop. 

I have also noticed this problem on days other than Mondays when I wanted to run an additional scan.

13 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: phantom mcafee updates prevent running scans

Successfully moved from SecurityCenter to VirusScan > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 14

I have seen this updates installing message recently on my daughter's and her husband's PCs. They usually leave their Pcs on 24/7 and seems this messes up the updating sometimes. A reboot /restart fixed theirs in both cases and update upgraded them to 14.0.r12. What is your version?

Oh re scheduled scan go to navigation general settings and alerts and General settings and deselect wait till my PC is idle before starting a scheduled scan. That will start the scan on time if not already set so.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

​,

May I ask what your Version/Build is? Could it possibly be 14.0.R12? In any case the Version/Build 15.0.R0/15.1.156 is expected to once again begin throttling out the latter part of March. I might add that the scheduled Scan is no longer an option at this present time.

Due to the Latest Next Generation (Lam) Scanning Engine. Please see;new LAM ( Lightweight anyimalware) install FAQs

Also this thread is similar to one you created in July/2106 of last year

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
ced2
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

About McAfee Security Center shows two things:

McAfee Security Center

Version: 14.0

Release Name: 14.0.R11

-and-

McAfee Security Center

Version 15.0

Build: 15.0.2063

Affld: 420

Language: en-us

Last update: 2/27/2017

Note to Peacekeeper - my laptop is not on 24/7, so this should not be an issue,

also, on Navigation/General Settings, "wait until pc is idle..." was already deselected

Note to catdaddy - thanks for the LAM FAQ's, I look forward to the Quick Scan being added back in.

The thread from last year was about scheduling the Full Scan.  I am currently scheduling the Quick Scan.

Question remains - what is causing this "...installing updates..." to be present?

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 14

If not another AV installed I would call support as a reboot usual fix I have noticed.

Support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

Just following up, did you ever contact Support and seek assistance? For this behaviour is indeed strange.

Thanks

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
ced2
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

I did not yet contact support. 

While I do not actually leave the laptop "on" 24/7 I do just put it in hibernate mode.  Then I only do a reboot when requested by Microsoft of McAfee updates.  I decided to do a reboot more often, a couple of times a week, and for sure on Monday morning.  This past week I did not have the update issue interfere with the scan. 

Hopefully this is the solution until the next release comes out later this month.

Thanks for your help and concern.

chris43812
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

catdaddy,

I had similar problem with my Dell desktop running Windows 7. I contacted support and they reloaded my software. That worked for a week, now I am getting the same 'installing update' message when I try to open the software. Same as ced2. Very frustrating. I do run Malwarebytes too, and am wondering if it has any effect on McAfee products. Hasn't in the past, but all software is evolving. Thanks for any help you can provide. It's making me reconsider my choice of Antivirus software!!!

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 14

Malwarebytes may affect McAfee if it is the premium version that has real time scanning active.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community