cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

periodically yanking away the window focus for 5 seconds

I will be typing away (I do a LOT of that), and not looking at the screen, and I will look up at the screen to check what I am typing because my typing usually needs improvement, and I will see that MY CURSOR IS GONE and for the last while, what I have been typing has gone into oblivion because the keyboard focus has been yanked away until I click back in my application (not even when whatever it is puts the cursor back do I get my keyboard).  so the what microsoft calls the focus gets totally lost.

it partially comes back (usually) in 5 seconds.  it does this every once in a while, like once an hour - I haven't timed it.  it's annoying as all get out and ruins my workflow.

I think it is mcafee doing this.  it could be Symantec Ghost or FSS Casper maybe which I installed for upgrading hard drives, but I think it's mcafee.

my only workaround is to grab the mouse and click back in my application where I want my cursor and be frustrated at whatever is doing this to me.

If anyone has a fix for this problem and somebody finds out that it IS mcafee that is doing this, I would appreciate it.

Is anyone else having this problem?  do you have any of these commercial apps apps do you have installed or something else?

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 2/3/12 2:10:38 AM PST
1 Reply
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: periodically yanking away the window focus for 5 seconds

I looked at teh event log and 2 things seem to be happening.  one is microsoft update.  the other is mfehidk.  here is something from eventvwr in system.

Event Type:    Warning

Event Source:    mfehidk

Event Category:    (256)

Event ID:    516

Date:        2/15/2012

Time:        5:03:57 PM

User:        N/A

Computer:    JIM-13L5NOM9I4U

Description:

Process **\SVCHOST.EXE pid (1668) contains signed but untrusted code, but was allowed to perform a privileged operation with a McAfee driver.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 58 00   ......X.

0008: 00 01 00 00 04 02 00 81   .......

0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

here is somthing from application in evenvwr that happens every hour:

Event Type:    Information

Event Source:    crypt32

Event Category:    None

Event ID:    7

Date:        2/12/2012

Time:        10:47:20 PM

User:        N/A

Computer:    JIM-13L5NOM9I4U

Description:

Successful auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

anything related to microsoft updates or mcafee's mfehidk.sys driver seem to yank the focus away.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 3/30/12 1:38:16 AM PDT

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 3/30/12 1:39:01 AM PDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community