Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alrensen
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

? new computer....need advice on McAfee

Jump to solution

I'm getting a new computer  (windows 7) with McAfee installed.  What  other, if any, virus

programs  can I / should  I  add  to  McAfee to  add  a more complete protection

that  will be  compatible  or  do  the  least harm  ?

Message was edited by: alrensen on 6/28/13 5:33:44 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: ? new computer....need advice on McAfee

Jump to solution

Don't add anything that has virus protection built-in or has a firewall as that will clash with McAfee and possibly allow infection in.

Good things to keep handy on your machine would include what I have, Windows Defender (built-in to 7 but the installation of McAfee usually disables it so you'll have to enable it most likely), Malwarebytes Free, & perhaps SuperAntispyware Free.

Surf safely, be careful what you share with others and what you download.

Lastly keep 7 up to date at all times  and that means it and all the software installed on it.  It will hopefully already have SP1 (Service Paxk 1) installed as that has been out for some time now, and IE10 (7 comes with IE9 but IE10 is now current).  Even if you use another browser by choice always keep Internet Explorer totally up to date as many processes, including McAfee, utilize it.

For some hints see the last link in my signature below.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Don't add anything that has virus protection built-in or has a firewall as that will clash with McAfee and possibly allow infection in.

Good things to keep handy on your machine would include what I have, Windows Defender (built-in to 7 but the installation of McAfee usually disables it so you'll have to enable it most likely), Malwarebytes Free, & perhaps SuperAntispyware Free.

Surf safely, be careful what you share with others and what you download.

Lastly keep 7 up to date at all times  and that means it and all the software installed on it.  It will hopefully already have SP1 (Service Paxk 1) installed as that has been out for some time now, and IE10 (7 comes with IE9 but IE10 is now current).  Even if you use another browser by choice always keep Internet Explorer totally up to date as many processes, including McAfee, utilize it.

For some hints see the last link in my signature below.

alrensen
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit,               So  it's  safe  to  run  McAfee, Windows Defender, malwarebytes,

and  Superantispyware   concurrently w/o  them  interferring with

each  other  ?

Al

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

As long as they are the free versions, i.e. no active protection, I've found no issues.   Keep the others updated for use if anything unusual happens.

The latest scourge of ransomware is difficult to protect against however and most software gives mixed results whgen encountering it, just be extra careful and should you ever see evidence of it on your machine, do not touch anything except the power switch.  Power up to Safe Mode and use System Restore to go back to before it happened.

If successful temporarily disable System Restore to get rid of it.

All these different things are still not 100% guaranteed to proof your machine aginst all that is out there, nothing will do that.   Join a few reputable anti-malware websites and do some reading up on it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community