Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparky8971
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

mferkdk service fails to start.

Hello,
I've searched around a little and can't seem to find an answer to this problem.
Each week when my virus scan kicks off, an administrative error is logged in the system Administrative events log.

The McAfee Inc. mferkdk service failed to start due to the following error:
The specified procedure could not be found.

Is my virus scan working correctly? Should I be concerned about this error?

I'm using the security suite offered by Comcast. I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Security Center Version: 9.15
ViruScan Version: 13.15
Firewall Version: 10.15
Win 7 x64 Ultimate

Thanks
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: mferkdk service fails to start.

The boards are about to go down for a few days so you might want to open a case with Technical Support Chat, link at top left of the page.

Also check for spyware using the free versions of these two tools, update before scanning and let them remove anything they find. Reboot if asked.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
sparky8971
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Re: RE: mferkdk service fails to start.

Still unresolved. I contacted McAfee and they suggested removing McAfee using MCPR and other steps to completely remove and then re-install. Did all that and still receiving this error. Did a little more research and mferkdk is the procedure to scan for root bots. I can only conclude it's not working properly.

Wondering if anybody has any other suggestions before I throw in the towel and get another security suite. TIA!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

I think perhaps you should start a new discussion under malware discussions with full details of what operating system and service pack plus details of your installed McAfee products current and any others you may have had in the past.

http://community.mcafee.com/community/security/malware_discussion/consumer

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/27/09 10:53 AM
westcoast
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

I had the same mferkdk issue on a Winows 7 Professionsal PC (X64), with an error message in the system even log that stated the service failed to start. I did a little research on Microsofts web site and found this support knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812486  which was a simple fix to solve the issue on my system. I did not have any major errors prior to the fix, I just happened to check the event logs and saw that the above error had started to show up about once a day after I turned the system on and wanted to find out why, given that I had not made any software changes recently.

To resolve this issue, add quotation marks around the following entry in the Windows registry, where <ServiceName> is the name of the service:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<ServiceName>\ImagePath

The ImagePath entry contains the path of the executable file for the service. To add quotation marks around the ImagePath entry for a service:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate, and then click the following registry entry, where <ServiceName> is the name of the service:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<ServiceName>.
    For example, if the service is named MyService, locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyService key.
  4. In the right pane, double-click ImagePath.
  5. In the Value data box, add quotation marks around the complete path of the executable file for the service.

For example, if the path of the MyService service is C:\Program Files\MyProgram\MyService.exe, change the entry in the Value data box for the MyService service to the following
    "C:\Program Files\MyProgram\MyService.exe"
  6. Click OK, and then quit Registry Editor

So the fix is to add quotes around: "C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mfehidin.exe", which references system32\drivers\mferkdk.sys path in the registry. Hope that may help others, I have not had any McAfee mferkdk errors in the last three days since adding the quotes. I have a Security center version 9.15, and Virus scan version  13.15, engine version 5301.4018 which came with my Dell PC.

Message was edited by: westcoast on 3/15/10 10:14:06 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community