cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary80920
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

mcshield.exe goes to 100% in task manager when using thunderbird

This has taken awhile to trackdown. This started occuring within the last couple of updates.

I am using Thunderbird v17 and v16.1 of McAfee antivirus that is part of Internet security on Windows XP.

When I click on any item in Thunderbird, mcshield.exe immediately goes to close to 100% effectively freezing my machine until mcshield.exe returns to 0%. It does not matter if I am clicking on indicator that shows whether or not a message has been read, the junk mail indicator, clicking on the message to read it, or switching between folders.

Unless this problem is resolved immediately, I am going to start looking for another program to secure my PC.

The McAfee techinician did not find any problems.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: mcshield.exe goes to 100% in task manager when using thunderbird

Thunderbird's latest version has a problem.  Turn off Email attachment scanning in SecurityCenter > Virus and Spyware Protection > Real Time Scanning > Settings

You are still protected if you save said attachments to the hard drive, they will then be scanned.

This thread has some insight on that - https://community.mcafee.com/thread/50903?start=0&tstart=0

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

The Thunderbird issue is being dealt with as we speak, see this post:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/269752#269752

gary80920
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Unfortunately, disabling  the scanning of email attachments is not an acceptable solution. This use to work until one of the most recent McAfee updates.

This problem occurs even when there is NO attachment.

I would expect McAfee to fix this problem rather quickly. I view disabling the scanning of email attachments as a short-term work around. "Short-term" is to be taken as a fix is ready within the next 10 days.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

If you want it fixed quickly make sure you have added your voice to the cases reported by contacting Tehcnical Support.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community