Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

mcafee total protection wants license for printer

Jump to solution

I have set my static-IP wireless printer on the mcafee network as a printer.

but there is a bug in mcafee which after about 2-3 weeks, mcafee gives a popup asking me to buy a mcafee license for my printer.

I don't think this is a valid request.

I just installed windows and mcafee fresh a month ago, so it's not a corrupted filesystem.

mcafee does this about every 3 weeks.

please fix.

if it's any help,the printer is an HP officejet 8500A wireless a909g and has latest firmware,is connected wirelessly via static IP through a wireless router.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kopri2012
Contributor II
Message 15 of 25

Re: mcafee total protection wants license for printer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply,

but I think the problem is solved.  I realized another problem (firewall setting / on-off disabled/reverting back to on) and therefore I re-installed the program, just done with it.

....and after that I was able to change the name/type and it kept it stored.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 25

Jump to solution

That's crazy and shouldn't be happening and if it were me I'd definitely open a case with Technical Support over that one.   In  SecurityCenter > PC and Home Network Tools > My Home Network is it marked as an Intruder by any chance?   Also under the Notifications tab there you could uncheck "Notify me when this PC or device come online"  - that section only appears if you highlight that item in the Network map in SecurityCenter.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Jump to solution

that was already set.  I guess I will have to chat with support.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 25

Jump to solution

A thought.  Open SecurityCenter and go to PC and Home Network Tools > My Home Network.

Look up the device in the network map and make sure under Edit that it isn't labelled as a 'Windows Computer' - should be labelled as 'Printer'.

That could be the reason why it's telling you to get protection for it.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Jump to solution

once in a while it reverts to computer. bug in mcafee. it shows as a computer,but not as a printer.

I can select a device type all day and go back to edit name and look at the "device type" and it will still show "select something". selecting printer is apparently doesn't save.

there are probably some other device types which don'tsave either.  some testing in this area from mcafee would be a good idea.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 25

Jump to solution

It doesn't do it on mine, mind you I have other items than a printer in my network, but my TV for example, which is connected by HDMI, always remains identified as such, so I would say that this is not normal.    They need to know about it hence my thought on opening a service ticket on it.

Have you tried uninstalling everything McAfee via CP, running MCPR (linked under Useful Links at the top of the page here), rebooting and re-downloading the software from the account?

Sometimes software corrupts as it updates or other factors can effect it.   I know it shouldn't happen but McAfee isn't unique in that regard I've found.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/08/12 7:52:11 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 25

Jump to solution

You could also try running the MVT to see if it finds and fixes any issues.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Jump to solution

as usual with mvt, no issues.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Jump to solution

ummm.... this is a fresh install. I should not be having problems. but I see that mcafee doesn'tlike network printers (maybe it's the static IP?).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 25

Jump to solution

I wish I could help there but have no networked printers to test.   This is where Technical Support is best equipped to troubleshoot this sort of thing.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community