cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

mcafee service host crash

McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Please tell microsoft about the problem. "Send error report"

McSvHost.exe

szAppVer:2.0.230.0

it's located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 12/9/11 8:32:01 PM CST
22 Replies
leroypa
Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: mcafee service host crash

I'm having the same problem  "McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.".  Running Windows XP service pack 3, Firefox 8 and Google Chrome.  Both browsers are up to date.  Will lock out internet access, Other times seems to not have any impact.  Also have run Virftual Technician and it has no impact.     please advise!

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

I don't think the browser makes any difference. I am using firefox 8 if it helps any.  I am using XP Pro SP3.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 23

Several of these type errors around do a search for mcsvhost in the subject .

Mcafee is trying to sort out the causes. I have not seen this on my family's 8 retail installs. Not happening on my 2012 pre beta install either.

several things to think over

1 Is this on a HP if so is HO cloud software installed? (also called zumo backup)

2. Try disabling netguard in the firewall settings any help.

Either you interested in a tech checking out your PC and grabbing logs?

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

I have an old dell dimension 4600.  cloud networking back in 2004 was essentially liquid droplets in the sky (cumulus, etc)....

I refuse to backup to the internet (even at 22Mbps/5Mbps) since I have 2TB of data and it woud take years 24/7 to do one backup.  windows doesn't operate 24/7 - lasts for 1 week before a need for a reboot. 😕  and I just downgraded to 12/2. to me, internet backup is a joke.  it's like sucking the ocean through a straw. most people have many many gigabytes of pictures, videos, music, etc that they wish to back up and keep safe. I know a guy with a mac who has about 10,000 songs and even more photos in Lightroom and pretty much stuffed his 320GB hard drive.

I want something with much higher density than DL BD-RE's, so I was thinking about LTO ultrium tape backup (kiind of expensive), or less expensive, hard disks.  even a backup program which can use those would be welcome.  one method is to backup WITHOUT special file formats to an external drive.  the only thing I would keep in a special file format would be the list of folders I want to back up...  I would like to list, load and save those backup jobs at will.  PROS: individual files can be picked off easily and retrieved, copied to your computer (from the external disk you backed up to), and updated whenever. CONS: writes of different lists of files (for example, list 1 contains file a, b, c), and list 2 contains file d, f, g) will result in a mishmash of files (a, b, c, d, f, g).

leroypa
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

I'm agreeable to tech checking out my PC and grabbing logs.  Lets set a time/date and get it done.  You can also reach me my cell-phone at **** removed for privacy

Thanks,

-PL

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/12/11 6:11:04 AM
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 23

Will pass on to him plus your phone. I assume no Hp cloud and netguard disable does not help. (this to both of you the netguard question)

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/12/11 6:14:39 AM
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

I am willing to do this too.  I would like to see this problem fixed.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 23

Sorry to be persistent but does disabling netguard stop this. this essential info they would like to help zero-in on the issue.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

what is "netguard"?  I know about the firewall, but that's it.  ok I found it, it's disabled.  we will see how it goes.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 12/11/11 2:00:07 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community