Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 11 of 39

Re: mcafee scan crashes when there is 1.13TB of data

Jump to solution

probably not. about 1/4 of the approximately 180 directories are various versions of different computer languages.

I organize my stuff into tree structures - I am forced to.  some files, like 32 and 64-bit gcc runtime DLLs, have the same name (but different content) and therefore cannot be kept in the same directory.  they also change with every revision of the compiler (the dll's get recompiled when the compiler gets rebuit and redistributed).

would you shove all your pictures, documets, and videos into 1 folder?  I wouldn't.  windows wouldn't let you either.  I have several million files.  stick it all in one folder and winddows slows down incredibly trying to enumerate that folder.  already tried that a long time ago. anything over about 1000 files per directory gets slow.

bad idea.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 39

Jump to solution

Ok understand now so maybe limit scans to custom scans that can skip compressed files. Mcafee will not count these scans as equivalent to scheduled scans though.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 13 of 39

Jump to solution

looks like it's going to be impossible to get mcafee fixed.  I give up.  quality or excellence was what I was hoping for. like a bug fix. it crashes. 

• if the program crashes, obviously, you fix it and make the program work right.  or at least that's my thinking.  the only time you can't *maybe* fix it is if it's due to memory usage, but even then there are ways around that if it's a memory usage spike.  then it's a fault with the program. 
  • memory usage: if it's a memory leak where the program uses up more and more memory and memory is allocated but the programmer forgot to free it up when he was done with it, then that needs to be fixed (I should monitor it again, I don't remember anything significant - hard to monitor when you come back to a crashed mcafee).  it happens sometimes.
  • memory usage: if it's a growing memory usage issue where you have a list or vector or some other data collection in memory that just keeps getting bigger and bigger, see if there is some way you can move that to a file-based database like sqlite3 or embarcadero's database. 

I haven't noticed any growing memory usage when I look at mcafee using the task manager.

I am just going to find some answer in this thread and call this good.  It's obvious nothing's going to happen.

I need a faster computer to make my scans faster.  I have a 32-bit P4 2.8GHz HT with 3GB RAM. intstead of taking 14+ days, maybe the scans will take 11 hours or a a couple of days.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 11/16/11 8:23:50 PM CST

I actually have several mullion files in countless directories.  the 180 directories was just simply the root directory.  I don't even mess with online backups.  it would take years to backup my data online just once.  not worth it.  2GB doesn't even back up My Documents for me.  fair number of gigabytes, at least 8 DVDs worth.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 11/16/11 8:41:09 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 39

Jump to solution

So two questions

1 did you try a scan (custom with zip files unselected? Did it scan with no crashes and faster?

2. Did you try it with use minimal resources not selected. this is far faster.

I assume you checked your drives with chkdsk /r method for bad sectors?

2012 checks files differently will have to see how it goes when the full beta released in 2 weeks. Would you be interested in trying it when it comes?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/11/11 1:29:30 PM
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 15 of 39

Jump to solution

I don't want to spend time clicking 180 items every time I want to scan. I want most of them.

https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1272  so I came up with a solution.

already did a chkdsk /r, moot point since it's a new drive.

I have not tried a custom scan in a long time.  the scan settings are not savable are they?  they should be!  yet another new idea...

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 39

Jump to solution

The custom scan settings are saveable they stay till the next scan. Once you exclude the folder it stays that way till you delete the exclusion. Only thing is scheduled scan settings have to be excluded separately to custom scan.

I Like the wild card idea though feel teh command line scanner idea might be too fancy. See if Mcafee comments re it.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 17 of 39

Jump to solution

I must not have been clear enough.

I thought I had stated that this was to solve the problem with having to do different sessions between reboots.

it would look something like this:

session1

reboot

session2

reboot

session3

reboot

session4

month

session1

reboot

session2

reboot

session3

reboot

session4

month

session1

got the idea?

same goes for the commandline scanner, you can set up an import file as a session. most UNIX folk and developers who also use windows appreciate commandline tools.

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 18 of 39

Jump to solution

I have the following system.

Dell Dimension 4600

Pentium 4 HT (1 core 2 threads) 2.8 GHz

- 3GB RAM

- 2x2TB drives, each with 823GB of data.

- I have zip files with are 30-90GB or more in size.

- mcafee wants to update in the middle of a scan, which causes havoc

any of these 4 things might (or in concert) be causing the crash I get, most likely the update.

after about 1 week's worth of scanning (that's how long it takes to scan 1.3TB of data) is when it crashes.

this reproducible, but I have a hard time trying to do it.  it takes a while, and windows becomes unstable in the process.

guys, do you think you could fix the crash and speed this program up too?  optimize the compiler for speed rather than optimizing for anything else.

also, a command-line scanner would help me isolate the crash to a specific area of the system *maybe*, but since it is a different program it may just be different problems. 

as a developer, I have some unusual files on my system.  files on my system which filepaths are longer than MAX_PATH (260 characters) as defined in Microsoft compilers as the length of a filepath.  this is caused by a specific large vendor of products whom everyone knows.  it is in some authorware I think, and the files it installs in APPDATA are way too long by about 4 characters, but scanning THIS does not cause the crash surprisingly.

if I DO get a command-line scanner, I want to know about it, at least put a section about it in the manual, with comamnd-line switches , arguments, usage, info about it and other stuff.

my scans have to be broken up into multiple sessions because 4TB of stuff is a lot of data, my stuff is growing (I try to prune where I can), and for whatever reason, windows  or drivers or apps on it are unstable enough to cause the need to reboot every week or less, plus there's the fact that those unattended  updates cause reboots.  blah!  and what happens if you get more then 1 update during the course of scanning?  more blah!  I may have to go to manual updates. in addition to manual scanning.  it will probably take about 2-3 weeks to scan using mcafee.  my electric bill is gonna be outta sight.

please, please speed up mcafee's virus scanner.  sigh, this thing is crashing all over the place too.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 39

Jump to solution

I wonder how your scan would go with a higher CPu ie a 3 or 4 core?  When you do the scanning have you unticked use minimal resources?. I scan 900Gb of files in 1.6 hrs.

I wonder why you are scanning all the zip files? Can you scan them individually and then exclude them from future scheduled and custom scans? Ie are they in a common folder that can be excluded of spread all over the place?

Have you recently reinstalled Mcafee I wonder if it has got corrupted.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall mcafee

Just some initial thoughts

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 20 of 39

Jump to solution

it's not my installation of mcafee.  recent installation like tech support always wants.

if mcafee gets corrupted that fast, something's wrong with it.

my cpu is so low on the performance scale it ranks with some of the really cheap procs offered today.  mine was near top of the line in 2004.

trying very much to save for a new PC.  am noting your performance.  do you have LOTS of zip files and other archives?  I do.  lots of ISOs too, probably a few hundred GB worth.

I can give a report on the number of lzma, tar, tgz, iso, zip, 7z, bzip2, gz files I have and the total size.

I wrote a program which will give me the total of these in SI units.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community