Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blazegmc
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

mcafee finding three boot records

hi

ive been suing mcafee av for three years and over every full scan the number of boot records has only ever been two... however over the past week it has been showing three boot records..

I searched the forum the first time and people said it may sometimes count one twice, and if it happens three times then it is deffinatly something to worry about....Well ive scanned my computer eight times over the week to see if it still says three, and on every occasion it has.....

im using a samsung laptop with windows vista, that boots from within the laptop, with a c and d drive and that is all. theres nothing else connected to my laptop at all..... ive done full searches with mcafee and malwarebytes but both are coming back clean...

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: mcafee finding three boot records

Every partition has its own (hidden) boot record which would explain 2 (C:, and D:), but that total would also include any Virtual Machine which could explain #3.   Do you have one installed?  Or, if this is an OEM system, there may be a hidden recovery partition and perhaps a McAfee software update has made it detect boot records in a slightly different manner, but that's just a guess.

I did find a McAfee user posting a similar query, but with Windows 7, here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267524-3-boot-records-detected-ok.html

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but a Vista forum might be of more help, ther's a good one here: http://www.vistax64.com/ or Technical Support might be able to explain it if you are really deperate to go through that experience 😉

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: mcafee finding three boot records

Btw, I assume you meant using rather than suing in your first post....LOL.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community