cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlesGust
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

if I previously ignored a virus, how do I get it detected again?

I have some old MBOX files on my computer that are text files containing email messages. Some are as large as 100MB, and others are as small as a few KB.

McAfee Total Protection detected a MIME virus in some of these text files a couple of weeks ago. I did not know which option to choose, but I did not want to lose a large file if it merely contained a little text with a MIME virus. So, I selected "Ignore". But, I don't want to turn off detection of this in other files or later saved attachments; I just wanted to indicate that I didn't want to throw away the baby with the bathwater.

Ideally, I'd like to use binary elimination and keep manually dividing and re-scanning the affected MBOX files until I get it down to files containing single email messages, where I can either manually delete the attachment, or I'll see that the entire message was spam and I can delete it.

But, my last total scan of my system found nothing. I don't even know which files previously had the MIME virus. How do I see a list of viruses previously ignored (and selectively reactivate) or how do I reset my system to ignore nothing?

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: if I previously ignored a virus, how do I get it detected again?

That's strange in that it isn't possible to tell the home version to ignore an actual virus.  Are you sure it wasn't a 'Potentially Unwanted Program' a.k.a. a PUP?

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation at the top right corner.

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items in the list below

See if it's in any of those 'drawers' - click them to expand.

If not then maybe you turned off a detection setting

Go back to Navigation by re-clicking it

Scroll down to Real Time Scanning snd click it

Make sure it's on and that the appropriate boxes underneath are checked.

In the Navigation menu you can also get the History and Logs from the left column.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/07/10 8:21:44 EDT AM
CopyRon
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Right click on your shield and choose navigation, then quarantined and trusted items.

You can also check in History and Logs for detected threats.

Sorry Peter, I must have been typing while you were posting!

Message was edited by: CopyRon on 7/31/10 8:27:45 AM EDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

No problem Ron.  Two are usually better than one here...LOL

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/07/10 8:59:18 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community