cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarnamandarion
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

how to add trusted folders to mcafee protection

I install the game Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist and mcafee keeps deleting his one file in it uplay.dll or something but its really annoying so i finally found out this after the 2nd reinstallation and went to the mcafee application thingy to check on the firewall and file protection or whatever so some people say to disable it so it can be installed but is there a way to actually add the game folder into the trusted list so this file doesn't get deleted? There must be a way, because i don't want to have to disable the scan and firewall everytime i play it or keep restoring this file it deletes, and what if it deletes it without me opening the game like after its temporary disablement comes back on? So, How do you add a folder to be 'trusted' into mcafee protection security so that it doesn't scan it or at least doesn't delete any files in it?

8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

Re: how to add trusted folders to mcafee protection

No,  corporate version has the option and consumer should be getting an option to exclude files from real time scanning next year. Other than that best to submit the file as a false +ve as per

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

when you get the reply reply to the email changing the subject to False +ve and name of detection . say why you think it ok and send it off. post your analysis id number here and if no fix in 5 days post here and I will chase a tech up to fix it.

on 30/12/13 5:42:57 EST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

Moved to VirusScan for better support.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 9

Hi jarnamandarion,

You might be able to restore / Trust the dll file permanently by clicking on Navigation> Quarantined and Trusted Items and add the file to the Trusted lists.

Hopefully this should work..!

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

That would only work if the item is labelled as a PUP, Possibly Unwanted Program.  Until such time as a general RTS trusting is introduced next year (we hope) anyway.

Meanwhile you'd have to submit it and hope they clear it as suggested earlier.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/12/13 6:34:19 EST PM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 9

Hi Tony/Peter

I presumed that the poster had his dll file detected as an Unwanted Program and it has been blocked. My assumption might be wrong. Let's see what he comes back with..!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

OK, thanks.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 9

Hi ,

Any thoughts on Scheduled Scan file / folder exclusions. Will that work ?

Turning Scheduled Scan On > Adding the specific dll file to this Excluded files list -> Run the Game with RTS ON

The exclusion list seems to be with Scheduled Scan however we can give a try..!

Your thoughts Tony / Peter ..!

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

The detection is by the real time scanner setting Scheduled or custom scans to an exclusion will not help. Unless the detection is a PUP there is no way currently that Mcafee consumer can exclude scanning the file/folder. It is intended to add such a feature to an update of version 13 currently in beta but this is many months away.

That is the way I gather it works.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community