Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pitje
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

executable packer?

Jump to solution

I just got a McAffee subscription with my new Dell. Sadly it thinks executable packers are viruses like many other antivirus software does. I am not trying to change that, because I had that discussion with some other av vendors. I just accept that common software is just for the masses, not for developers, indygamefans etc.. But where are all my files? In a very user unfriendly way McAfee deletet them without asking. They are not in the bin. I don´t want to mess with odd file recovery tools. Any help? They have to be somewhere!

THX

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: executable packer?

Jump to solution

I moved this provisionally to VirusScan 14 - 2010 but not too sure what version your have.

If VirusScan detected something it will most likely be in its Quarantine folder.

For VirusScan 14 - 2010 - which has a shield-shaped icon in the taskbar, double-click that icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation at top right

Click Quarantined & Trusted Items in the list below.

If it is VirusScan 13 - 2009 which has a square taskbar icon, also double-click to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files (right).

If something is misidentified as an infection McAfee wants to know about it.

This thread will explain how to get around it in order to report the file to McAfee.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/03/10 10:55:11 EST AM

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

I moved this provisionally to VirusScan 14 - 2010 but not too sure what version your have.

If VirusScan detected something it will most likely be in its Quarantine folder.

For VirusScan 14 - 2010 - which has a shield-shaped icon in the taskbar, double-click that icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation at top right

Click Quarantined & Trusted Items in the list below.

If it is VirusScan 13 - 2009 which has a square taskbar icon, also double-click to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Restore (left)

Click Files (right).

If something is misidentified as an infection McAfee wants to know about it.

This thread will explain how to get around it in order to report the file to McAfee.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/03/10 10:55:11 EST AM
Pitje
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thanks. I found the 43 harmless files.Happy it did not delete them as it has told..

I am still going to disable the scanner. I don´t have a good feeling with him on anymore.

And I am not going to report it. Misidentified runtime packers is not a new thing.

Especially the open source ones are used to hide data in an executable. But there are

hundreds of other uses for them, so it is a shame that they´re on the trojan list of most vendors.

It´s the tool not the malware.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

OK, it's your choice of course, but be careful.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community