Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigger32
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

everytime I try to go to www.mcafee.com it takes me to promos.mcafee.com

Jump to solution

I think I have some kind of adware.  My mcafee virus scan is getting stuck on rootkit and won't ever finish so I don't know if it woukd find it or not,  I'm new to this community and I'm not sure if I'm in the right place or if I'm doing this correctly but I could use some help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: everytime I try to go to www.mcafee.com it takes me to promos.mcafee.com

Jump to solution

tigger32

Welcome to the McAfee forums. Hopefully someone here can get you fixed up so let me ask you about your computer. It would be helpful to know what type of operating system, type of internet connection and if you are currently up to date with your security updates? What browser do you use? McAfee relies on an updated Internet Explorer even if you choose to use Chrome or Firefox.

This document contains a lot of information to rid your computer of adware, malware, etc.

I suggest you run the Stinger scans listed in there and try the GetSusp tool as well. I would also suggest when surfing the internet to be careful on what you download to avoid these type of issues.

Let us know if you have any questions as there are other moderators and customers to help you also.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

The scan saying "Scanning: Rootkit" means it is looking for rootkits, not that there are rootkits present.   It often seems to stick at that point and is a known issue.   If you need to get past it  and the cancel button is greyed out you will have to stop the process in Task Manager.

Meanwhile scan with some extra tools such as Stinger, Malwarebytes Free, AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool, all listed in the last link in my signature below.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

tigger32

Welcome to the McAfee forums. Hopefully someone here can get you fixed up so let me ask you about your computer. It would be helpful to know what type of operating system, type of internet connection and if you are currently up to date with your security updates? What browser do you use? McAfee relies on an updated Internet Explorer even if you choose to use Chrome or Firefox.

This document contains a lot of information to rid your computer of adware, malware, etc.

I suggest you run the Stinger scans listed in there and try the GetSusp tool as well. I would also suggest when surfing the internet to be careful on what you download to avoid these type of issues.

Let us know if you have any questions as there are other moderators and customers to help you also.

Good Luck

tigger32
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

My computer is a pretty new HP laptop.  I've only had it for a couple of months.  I'm using windows 8.1 and all of the microsoft updates are current. I'm using I.E. 11 for my browser.  I was able to find the rootkit workaround conversation and I am trying it now.  i will try the anti-spyware/malware as has been suggested and we'll see what that does.  I ran a Malwarebytes scan earlier and it didn't find anything but maybe one of the others will.

Thanks

Tigger32

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Tigger 32,

Should you use the McAfee Getsusp tool, please add your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning. Should the scan detect any Suspicious/Unknown Files. They will be submitted to the McAfee Labs to be analyzed. In addition, you will in return recieve a confirmation of such.

There will be a Work Item #, please save this for future reference.

When Downloading/Installing McAfee Rootkit Remover, it is suggested to (Save) it to your Downloads/Folder. Close all applications/Browser and ( Right Click) to open,and run as Administrator. 

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-rootkitremover.aspx

Instructions in regards to Stinger:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

As Ex_Brit and k3tg stated, these are Superb Tools...

Wishing you the Best,

Regards,

Edited to insert instructions

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/4/14 11:13:24 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Sorry I forgot completely that there was a workaround for VirusScan stopping at 98/99% here:  http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS102052

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi tigger32,

Out of Curiosity do you still have issues connecting to www.mcafee.com?? If not the title of the discussion needs to be changed..!

tigger32
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

I just completed the strunger and getsusp scans.  Stringer found nothing and getsusp found 3 suspicious files so I deleted them.  After rebooting the issue appears to be gone.  The issue I was having with my virus scan hanging on rootkit is solved by the workaround.  Just one note on that it was actually hanging at 36% and for hours not minutes but the workaround fix it.  I think I am good at this point.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved and thanks for getting back to us.

Good Luck

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Sharing the same sentiments, Glad that all seems to be okay now.

Wishing you all the best,

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community