cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeo5
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

error msg "initializing Update interface"

a question; I just purchasd the Virus Removal Service, it successfully installed on my computer as far as I can tell, when I go to start Security Plan Plus; I get the following error message "error initializing Update interface";  any suggestionsfor a fix,  I have Toshiba, notebook, running Window 7, w/ serv pack1

thanks

mike

5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Re: error msg "initializing Update interface"

First security scan plus is not a full virus product. It really only checks to see if you have a scanner installed and if not offer Mcafee as an option. It does some scanning but not much. You usually get it as a free download when you donload adobe products etc.

http://home.mcafee.com/downloads/free-virus-scan

Either uninstalling it from your programs and features area of the control panel could fix this error or there is a shortcut hanging around somewhere

https://community.mcafee.com/message/279049#279049

mentions this

Er also how can you purchase this when It is free . there was a guy selling these online once but I thought he was caught

Can you confirm what you actually bought?

mikeo5
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

thanks Tony

I uninstalled the software, I made an error in the problem statement. 

I have a virus, I also have a subscritption for "McAfee Total Protection", still got the virus, I went on line to McAfee and to "Virus Removal Tools"; I cannot run "McAfee Stinger" removal there is an error (it is "page not found" for all optiions: Sasser, Begal, Zafi, Mydoom, Lovsan/Blaster); I  ran 'BugBear" and "Klez" they could not find the virus,

I then purchased "Virus Removal Service" (Order #: CS1381367307)

I went to run the program and could not find "Virus Removal Service"  in the program directory, I figured "Security Plan Plus" was the next best thing.

So how do I check to see if "Virus Removal Service" is installed, and then how do I start it.

the virus will: reboot my computer every few minutes,  it changes my MS Explorer home page to Ask.com, in McAfee total protection it will turn off my option for Real-Time Scanning, everytime I set the option to Yes, in a few minutes it wll change to No

thanks Mike

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Tony, being in Australia, is sleeping right now.  You paid for the Virus Removal Service?  Probably not necessary and if not you can obtain a refund through Customer Service but read on first.  There are loads of free tools linked in the last link in my signature below.

In any case the VRS is by phone and they take control of your machine.  It isn't something you simply download.

I'd be interested to know which page you went to for this service, a URL would be useful.

Security Scan Plus is useless and should be uninstalled in the normal manner.

Are you in the USA or overseas?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

I have to agree with Ex_Brit, something does not seem right? I certainly hope you have not been "Duped"?

As for the "Virus" issues you described, it seems that you have obtained the "Ask.com Tool-Search-Tool Bar Nasty. This is usually "Bundled with a "Free" Download of some sort.

As Ex_Brit stated there are some superb Malware Removal Tools under his signature. This particular infection also installs Browser Hijackers, Redirections, and so on. Here is a Resourceful Link-Guide on how to remove this particular piece of infection.

Some of the same tools listed under his Signature, are delegated to run. In addition it offers other instructions as well on how to remove the Extensions-Add-ons in all of your Browsers, which were probably installed as well.

It may be that you have to run these in "Safe Mode/Networking" in order to prevent the Malware from interferring. I would try running in "Normal Mode Initially. This can most definitely be a "Stubborn Piece of Crap"

Here is the Link:http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ask-toolbar-and-search/

I have been having issues inserting Links, I hope this works.....

Please post back the results.

Good Luck,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/18/14 1:39:20 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 6

Hi mikeo5

Peter is correct with regards to Virus Removal Service. It is where a Support representative will take Remote Access of your PC and fix it as long as your service is valid (Until an Expiry date). If you suspect you have a Virus Please contact our Virus Removal Service from Useful Links at the top of this page.

McAfee Security Scan Plus is more of a Marketing tool which detects if an AntiVirus is present and suggests to purchase McAfee if there is none. You can just remove it from Control Panel since it gets installed as an accessory to Adobe / Java products..!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community