cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

bug in FindFirstFile() in Win32 calls? affects mcafee excludes/includes

please verify/unverify this. please some technician who knows about the cmd shell verify this who has an windows live and msdn account .

this affects the way mcafee includes or excludes files and folders.

see the last comments on this page, especially the last one or two comments from jmichae3 or Jim Michaels:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364418%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

the comment is approximately at the top of the comments. it regards searches for *.iso and getting *.iso-8559-1, and searching for the filespec *.1 and getting the first directory entry in the directory, which was a directory called android.sdk

this problem affects delete also.

what I am not sure about is whether this affects just my machine, or also affects other computers as well. I laid out steps to reproduce via a cmd shell in my comment.

I am using Windows XP Pro Sp3 32-bit.

I will paste is here:

*.1 and *.iso - anybody having a problem with this?                 

I did FindFirstFile() and FindNextFile() using a dir tree walking function I wrote. it currently works pretty good, except that the cmd shell's dir command and del command and all of the above, including my program now, have problems with *.1 and *.iso

*.iso matches c:\DJGPP\v2gnu\gnu\libiconv.110\tests\_Translit\1.ISO-8859-1

*.1 matches the first directory in the directory tree, android.sdk

I am hoping this is just my machine being wacky because it's old and logging too many on-hours over an 8-year period. if it's not, someone please verify and probably also tell microsoft (above).

I believe either my OS is corrupt, my hardware is flaking out after 8 years of near-constant use, or microsoft made a boo-boo with FindFirst().

thanks in advance for any verification or unverification.

you can make these files by simply doing in a cmd shell:
md t
cd t
md android.sdk
echo. > z.ISO-8859-1
echo. > z.1
dir *.iso
rem problem if you see z.1 or z.ISO-8859-1
dir *.1
rem problem if you see z.ISO-8859-1 or android.sdk
you can do
start explorer ..
exit
to easily delete the directory tree you just made with windows explorer.
I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit. my machine is 8 years old and I use it 12-24 hours/day. so I am wondering about the veracity of this. if it's microsoft's bug (probably due to a recent update), I would love to have it fixed. I don't remember this happening in the past.

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: bug in FindFirstFile() in Win32 calls? affects mcafee excludes/includes

What product are you using as the home product doesn't include a command shell?    Technicians rarely visit these forums so such questions would normally have to be asked of Technical Support directly, it's free.

The ways VirusScan works are never explained in public as it's a trade secret I would imagine - they never tell us Mods either.

It appears from your many submissions that you are interested in getting them to change, something that wont happen in these forums.  You'd either have to work for them or at the very least become a beta tester where you could then file lots of Bug Reports, but from practice I can tell you they don't always listen and if they do, things get heavily modified in transit.   We are dealing with a large corporation with a huge customer base and lots of departments all pulling this way and that to get their say in how things work.

That leaves us here to deal with everyday issues.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/07/12 10:19:09 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community