Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kez
Contributor III
Message 1 of 4

Windows Security Center says there's a problem with McAfee VirusScan

Jump to solution

OS is Windows 7. McAfee VirusScan last updated yesterday 27/07/2013. Have run MVT and no problems found.

But Windows Security Center says :

Solve a problem with McAfee VirusScan

McAfee VirusScan has stopped working properly.

A newer version of this software is available for download that solves this problem. McAfee, Inc. recommends updating to take advantage of security and stability improvements.

I haven't had an automatic update today as yet but checked manually, and apparently McAfee is all up to date. If I click on the link in Windows Sec Center, it just takes me to the McAfee home page.

Any ideas why Windows has thrwn up this rather worrying message?

Kez

Message was edited by: kez on 28/07/13 02:25:12 CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kez
Contributor III
Message 3 of 4

Re: Windows Security Center says there's a problem with McAfee VirusScan

Jump to solution

Thank you, Peter.

All seems to be OK now. No update received yesterday, but there may not have been one. PC went into scheduled scan OK.

Message has disappeared.

I do get a warning sometimes when I turn PC on, but that disappears within a few seconds once everything has caught up with itself, but this one lingered for a couple of hours, so I was a bit worried.

Yes, I am using IE10, and Windows is up to date.

Just thought it best to check.

Thanks again

kez

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Not sure why that would be but occasional glitches like that seem to be fairly common.    If your McAfee software says it is up-to-date, then you are OK and can safely ignore that warning.

In Windows 7 McAfee controls the Windows Security Center anyway.

I'm assuming 7 is totally up to date in all aspects, including IE10, whether or not you use it?

In your last thread you told us you have MSC v12.1 so there could indeed be an update pending, but when, depends on when it reaches the servers for your area.

If it continues then I would open a case with Technical Support, but normally, if it were happening here, I would ignore it.

kez
Contributor III
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thank you, Peter.

All seems to be OK now. No update received yesterday, but there may not have been one. PC went into scheduled scan OK.

Message has disappeared.

I do get a warning sometimes when I turn PC on, but that disappears within a few seconds once everything has caught up with itself, but this one lingered for a couple of hours, so I was a bit worried.

Yes, I am using IE10, and Windows is up to date.

Just thought it best to check.

Thanks again

kez

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

I got an update sometime yesterday, when I'm not sure though.   Give it a while and if not then open a case with Technical Support.

Anyway, for now it looks OK, so good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community