Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
godsfantasy
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Windows Live Messenger

Greetings,

How do I setup Windows Live Messenger to work with McAfee Anti-virus? Is there a EXE that I can point to so that WLM will scan all my received files?

Also, privacy protection does not work with WLM (prevent private information from being sent). Is this a known defect?

Thank You.

- Lawrence
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: Windows Live Messenger

You don't have to configure anything to use any messenger. There may be a firewall permission pop-up at some stage which you would allow, but it depends on your version and which messenger it is.

Regarding Messengers in general and Privacy Service I gleaned this from a 2007 post:

Parental Controls features no longer apply on IM and email clients. This feature has been removed

VirusScan does protect however.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Simply install the IM and when it trie to connect ou must get the prompt to trust...
Addabaj
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

I'm pretty sure that he is talking about the the screenshot I attached. I have the same problem, I cant locate which mcafee exe file I'm gonna point to scan my received files. Please help. :mad:

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

From that pic I would say it's already pointing to the correct area and all you have to do is check that box.

However, VirusScan scans anything downloaded through IM anyway, there shouldn't be any need to point IM to anything.
Addabaj
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcvsshld.exe is not working, Its not the scan engine file.
Addabaj
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Thanks happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

No problem, don't configure that section as VirusScan does it anyway.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community