cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Windows 8 Action Center says McAfee Virus, Spyware, and Firewall are off, but they're not

Jump to solution

I just downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade to my notebook, and the MS Action Center now says that McAfee Virus Protection, Spyware protection, and Firewall are off. However, they're all on.

I saw somewhere else online -- http://bit.ly/10OyIP2 -- that "Mcafee has turned off all the Microsoft security facilities." and that it's safe to turn off the Action Center notification.

Anyone here know if it's true that McAfee is preventing the Win 8 Action Center from recognizing that McAfee is active? Just turn off the notification?

Thanks.

Ken

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Re: Windows 8 Action Center says McAfee Virus, Spyware, and Firewall are off, but they're not

Jump to solution

One last thought... run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

View solution in original post

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: Windows 8 Action Center says McAfee Virus, Spyware, and Firewall are off, but they're not

Jump to solution

Click the Windows + R keys to bring up the Run window and type in services.msc and click OK or hit Enter on the keyboard.

Scroll down to the Windows Firewall service and make sure it's started and automatic - use the Edit button if needed.

Check that all the McAfee services are started, except Scanner (that wont start until you are running a scan).

Try opening McAfee and running updates, as that maybe all that is needed.

I'm in Vista at the moment and am in the midst of downloading something but I will check my own Windows 8 installation in a few minutes for other clues.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

OK, am now in my Windows 8 Pro w/MC x64.    My Action Center too reported nothing was right for the first few minutes and then all was well as soon as I let McAfee update.

You could try re-registering the appropriate DLL for Action Center Security Settings:

• Press Win + X
  • Click on “Command Prompt (Admin) & type in
  • regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL then hit Enter
  • Reboot the System and in the same Command Prompt (Admin) window type
  • regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL then hit Enter

Then again reboot the system and go to the Action Center.  It should now report the security software correctly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/01/13 1:19:21 EST PM
kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Peter,

I've done the things you've suggested:

• I've checked the services, and all that you mentioned are indeed running.
  • I've allowed McAfee to update.
  • I de-registered the dll and then rebooted.
  • I re-registered the dll and then rebooted.

The Action Center still reports the three McAfee programs as being turned off. In the action center, I choose the option to turn them on, to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Ken

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Just out of interest what version of SecurityCenter do you have?  Open it and click 'About'.

I wouldn't worry too much and for the time being, if it were me, I'd tell Action center to ignore.

But, assuming this is the retail software and not the beta version, you might want to contact Technical Support in the meanwhile.  It's free after all.

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Securitty Center 12,1 (Build 12.1.253), updated today. Part of Total Protection.

I shudder at the thought of contacting Tech Support. Past experience on other problems: Hours of redudant remote access sessions, with their knee-jerk uninstall/reinstall "solution."

Incidentally, before downloading the Windows 8 upgrade, I did uninstall McAfee, and reinstalled it once Windows 8 was activated.

I think I'll go the "ignore" route with Action Center...

Many thanks.

Ken

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

I hear you.  The trouble is there are certain steps that they have to take, but it can seem like a chore at times.   If you ever do contact them just say you've already tried the 'normal' remedies.

It should iron itself out soon hopefully.   Every so often trying turning AC settings back on and see if it's changed.  I always find it takes sometimes several minutes for Windows to see 3rd party security software.

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/01/13 3:49:52 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

One last thought... run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Virtual Tech actually did the trick. It found a missing registry entry (and two other non-registry problems), and upon fixing those problems, the Action Center now reports that McAfee is monitoring virus protection, firewall, and spyware.

I should have saved the MVT log so I could report what the problems were, but failed to.

Many thanks Peter.

Best,

Ken

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Don't worry about it, that's great news.    If, by any chance, you've been running registry cleaners, stop, because that is typical of their end result.  Other than that, I guess we'll never know why it fixed it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community