cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ganal
Former Member
Message 1 of 30

Win8 Action Center indicates that Virus, Spyware & Firewall protection are disabled

One month ago I upgrade my notebook Dell to Windows 8, without facing any problem at all. A few days ago I noticed that windows action center was indicating that Virus Protection, Spyware Protection & Firewall Protection were disabled. However, McAfee Internet Security was indicating that there was not a problem and everything worked properly. I ran Virtual Technician several times, but the problem still exists.

A friend advised me to choose, through MS action center, windows defender protection, so not to be anprotected. The resuslt was to enable windows Defender for Virus & Spyware protection. But there is nothing I can do to enable Firewall Protection (either Defender or McAfee). Now, it is not possible to enable again the McAfee Virus & Spyware Protection, through action center, while still unable to enable firewall protection.

Does anyone know the solution to the problem ?

When I ran the Virtual technician, reported as a problem that DAT is not up to date. Since then, reports the same problem, without fixing it. What I have to do for this ?

Many Thanks George

29 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 30

Re: Win8 Action Center indicates that Virus, Spyware & Firewall protection are disabled

There is an issue I hear from posts here that the upgrade process doe snot work well. I would suggest you try the uninstall reinstall path namely follow

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

to correctly uninstall Mcafee reboot when asked and ryn

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

This should fix the issues up.

That said there is a continuing issue with action centre giving incorrect messages between 2.5 mins and 5 minutes after boot. This issue clears up at 5 minutes after boot. i assumed your issue was not this 1.

If still an issue best to report this to Tech support ie call them and see what they say.

uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 3 of 30

Re: Win8 Action Center indicates that Virus, Spyware & Firewall protection are disabled

I have the Same Problem Too. Made a clean install of

Windows 8 pro in december 2012 on a Dell pc. Windows

Security Center allways warns there is no Virus Or

Firewall Protection. Time After Reboot Or Start up PC

Does Not matter. I deactivated Windows Security Center.

Deinstallation and reinstall of mcafee total Protection

Makes no difference.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 30

When You uninstalled Mcafee did you use teh mcpr tool I mentioned above ie windows deletion of Mcafee followed by mcpr?

I had this after  new install of the beta 3 installs gave action centre errors and mcafee Real time scanning starting issues as well as greyed out firewall errors.

Running MVT the virtual technician available on the tech support page (see useful links tab above) fixed it.

That said if still not chop call support as they need to sort this issue out asap.

on 26/02/13 5:49:26 EST AM
uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 5 of 30

Yes I firstly used Windows deinstallation of Programms,

Then the mcafee Tool and Finally the preinstallation Tool.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 30

Then as Tony suggested, contact Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 30

Yes we need to sort out why some installs get this.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 8 of 30

uwe-dembski,

Kindly try the below steps and update me the outcome

Open Command prompt window in Run as Administrator

In the command prompt, type net stop winmgmt then hit enter->type Y for the asked question and keep the window open

Open Run Window and type wbem and hit OK

You can see a folder with the name Repository, right click and rename it to Repository.OLD

Close that window and type net start winmgmt in the command prompt again and hit enter

Restart the computer once and check the Action center status

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 30

uwe-dembski

This may help - How to Open An Elevated Command Prompt In Windows 8.

Note links to other options at the bottom too.

uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 10 of 30

Yes, that helped.

Thank you very much.

Problem is solved.

Nachricht geändert durch uwe-dembski on 27.02.13 07:26:03 CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community