cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IT-not-by-choic
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Why is updater not working?

First I want to say that this problem has been going on for over a month now, so I don't think it is related to any of the recent updater issues...Anyway, It does not matter if I try doing the update from the task bar or from the Security Center update option. I get the "Security Center will check for updates now..." I hit ok, then nothing happens. I do not get the little icon with the spinning circle, and the software does not update. (the icon is not hidden) I have uninstalled the software, used the Mcafee cleanup tool and re-installed the software using McAfee download site. I have used the Virtual Help and I have had a McAfee teckie (Sebastine) try to help me out to no avail. I have run MSConfig and gone to Sevices tab. 'Task Scheduler' and 'Terminal Sevices' are running.

McAfee Product Info:

Security Center

Version 9.15

Build 9.15.160

AFFID:0

Language en-us

Last Update 1/19/2010

Viruscan

Version 13.15

Build: 13.15.113

Last Update 1/19/2010 (the last time I re-installed the software)

Dat version 5865

Personal Firewall

Version 10.15

Build: 10.15.106

Last Update 1/19/2010

Site Advisor

Version 2.8

Build 2.8.306

Last update 1/19/2010

Computer is a Dell Dimesion Dim 3000 Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 ghz running XP Pro.

40gb hard drive, 2 gig ram

Any help will be appreciated.

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why is updater not working?

Hi,

1. Make sure that the computer doesn’t have any other antivirus software in control panel or C:\program files and common files. If found delete them.

2. Click on "Start" and then click on "Run". Then Type in "Drivers".
On the window that opens up try to open up the folder named "ETC". Then look for the file "Hosts" and then right click on the file and open it with "Notepad". Check the bottom of the page just below from where it says 127.0.0.1 local host. If you have list of websites remove them all and ensure you have the details only up to 127.0.0.1 information about websites below this can be removed.
Once done save the files and try to update McAfee.

3. Click start – run type services.msc, from the services local window check whether the start up type for terminal services is in automatic, if not click on the particular service and change it to automatic
Click recovery tab and change all the three failures to restart the service

4.Restart the computer and then try to update security center.

Regards,
Dinesh  K

IT-not-by-choic
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for input Dinesh. I cleaned everything off that seemed related to any other virus scan & anti spyware softwares. The only file I could not delete was "SindsRVC.exe in a common files symatec folder. System said file was in use.

Did Start, Run Drivers, went to ETC folder, Opened file Hosts. Just below line that says 127.0.0.1 local host, there are literally 100's of lines that start with 127.0.0.1. No other addresses were listed. Since I thought I was looking for a line that had a different address I did not delete anything.

I ran Sevices.msc. Terminal Services was set to manual. I changed to automatic. Also changed all three failures to restart and rebooted computer,

Tried Update. No update icon showed up in the task bar but Security Center information is showing that an update check was made today, and a last scan was made today.

This is definitely progress from where I was a couple of days ago. I'm still not sure if update will work automatically, and If I'm not seeing the update icon, is this a problem?

Bravo
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hi ,

You can try these steps

1. Open IE , Tools/internet options/connections- lan settings- if proxy server is checked uncheck  , try to update mcafee, and  if it dosent work

2. Start-run- in the run box type ncpa.cpl click on  ok , right click on local area connection click on properties,choose internet protocol Tcp/Ip V4 - click on properties

put a check mark on Obtain dns server automatic , obtain ip address automatic and  Update mcafee .

All the best

IT-not-by-choic
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the input Bravo.

Opened IE Tools/Internet options/connections - lan settings. Proxy server was not checked so took no further action on this advice.

Did Start Run ncpa.cpl, right click on Local area connection, properties. Tcp/IP V4 was not there, only TCP/IP. There already was a checkmark on Obtain DNS server automatic and on Obtain IP address automatic. Took no further action on this advice. I'm assuming its ok that I only have TCP/IP. If you think it will make a difference if I install TCP/IP V4, I will try to do that.

Thanks anyway though.

Bravo
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hmmm,

lets try this ,

This will modifying the registry  , so please take backup before trying this

Back up of registry- Start -Run - regedit you will get the Registry Editor, click on File - Export , save the file on C: drive , file name as Backup

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/TS100492.bat

click on the link  and save the bat file on your desktop

Double click on TS100492.bat.

Restart the computer  and Update McAfee

THANKS

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community