cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
desertlover
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Why doesn't McAfee detect a virus, then charge you to get rid of it?

I recently had an experience when a "Windows Security Essentials..." popped up on my computer in  big RED box. I panicked, thinking I had a virus.I checked McAfee on myy computer and it said I was protected.

Well, I panicked and called McAfee.  I was told this was not covered in the Total Protection product I had.   I had the option to buy a Super Golden Something Something package, or purchase a one-time 7 day service to fix it.  I signed up for the seven day service cuz I was panicked and wanted it off my computer.  It cost me a whopping $89.95 and a rep took over my computer to fix it.  He said they didn't find a virus and would return my $89.95.  Then he says, oh, yeah, I found a virus.  He didn't sound very believble and was difficult to understand with his accent.

I believe  the red box from Microsoft Essenials offering to clean my computer would have invited a a virus. HAD I accepted their offer to clean my computer, I would have gotten a virus or an offer to purchase some program.

I feel I was ripped off by McAfee under the circumstances.  I should have just closed the red box and been done with it.

I don't intend to renew with McAfee.  I'm going to look for a program that totally protects my computer without additional fees.

Any suggestions?

I'm pretty new here, although I've come here before and found helpful people.  Please let me know if I have done anything improper

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why doesn't McAfee detect a virus, then charge you to get rid of it?

Microsoft Security Essentials is a valid antivirus-only product produced by Microsoft but there could be false versions circulating I suppose.    However you are quite right in being concerned.

You should know however that no antivirus, no matter what the brand, will offer 100% guaranteed protection against everything out there.   You have to surf wisely, be careful what you download and where you download from and never trust file sharing.

You haven't been ripped off by anyone as no antivirus makers claim to be 100% effective and they also all charge for professional one-on-one virus removal, if they offer that service at all, some do not do not even do that.

There are always cheap or free alternatives to professional virus removal.

If anything strange starts happening on your machine, do NOT click on anything at all.  Power off immediately and then restart into Safe Mode and initiate System Restore to before it all happened.

There are also many other applications out there that can help in the battle and some of them are listed in the last link in my signature below.

Most importantly always keep all parts of your system up to date, including any that you may not use (for instance you may choose another browser to IE, but always make sure IE is totally up to date as it is used by many processes regardless).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/10/12 5:07:27 EDT AM
desertlover
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thank you ExBrit.

I don't expect perfection in  a product.  I do expect to be able to understand the people I am talking to.  Their accents are so strong, that it is difficult for me.

I will save your e-mail, probably print it, so in the future so I know what to do in case I have a potential virus.

I don't believe I had a virus and I was told by two different people there at McAfee that I did not have a virus. I was told that I would receive a refund.  Then, out of the blue, after he had assisted me on my computer, he says "oh, we found a virus."  nothing more was done to get rid of this supposed virus. He sounded like he was lying to me.

They could have told me to follow the instructions you gave.I  believe that instructions like that should be included in the price of the original program I bought.  I suppose they are aware of the steps I could have taken.  Easily,problem solved.

I will be shopping for new virus protection, which I thought I had.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

You probably were speaking to support which is outsourced, like so many these days, offshore to save costs.  In this case most support is in India.

He was not allowed to recommend other products and most likely has never heard of me anyway and is paid to steer to McAfee's services.   

Rarely do support and these forums get mixed.  However we Moderators liaise between you and them frequently.

I'm an unpaid volunteer here and am independent of McAfee, that's why I recommend some other things but even I have to be careful what things I recommend as we have limits too.

There are many independent anti-malware forums out there who specialize in this kind of thing.  A few are listed at the bottom of my link.

Sorry you feel let down but I repeat, no antivirus company can offer 100% ironclad protection.  If they do they're lying.

I hate to say it but you'll find exactly the same with the competition.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/10/12 6:07:14 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community