Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 31 of 38

Re: Why does scheduled scanning no longer work

Jump to solution

Yes, There should be a significant decrease in the time taken to re-scan after your initial one. Especially if you have not rebooted.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 32 of 38

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I updated itunes which always requires a reboot.  Had I known I wouldn't have rebooted. 

I just checked the scan I kicked off at 7:00 PM and found it paused!  I have the 'wait until PC is idle etc' unchecked so why did it pause?

Peacekeeper
Message 33 of 38

Jump to solution

Sometimes it does that though I have yet to see it happen.

Ok I am confused here what version are you running. 15.1.R2 does not have a custom scan option anymore. Custom scan now is a manual scan where one chooses to scan a file or drive by right clicking on it in explorer. There is no folder exclusion available. Only exclusion is file exclusion in Real time scanning.

lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 34 of 38

Jump to solution

Sorry about the confusion.  I have two machines with different versions on them and have been trouble-shooting the scan problems on both simultaneously.  I may not have been crystal clear about which machine I was reporting on. 

W7 machine (my main machine) - V15.1 R2 - this was re-installed 11/6/16 after a 'chat' (svc req 2114878930) and 2115155694).  I have the chat saved where they told me the scheduled scan option no longer exists - that scans are now being done in the background! (every 4 hours in my notes).

Yes it does not have a custom scan option and also no ability to exclude files/folders in regular or scheduled scan.  Sched scan went off on time.  I didn't run a full scan on this machine so I don't know if it will pause when the machine locks.  I will give that a try later today.  This version does not have, in scheduled scan, the check boxes for 'scan using minimal resources' and 'scan only when the PC is plugged in'.  I unchecked the 'wait until PC idle' in general alerts.

W10 machine - V14.0 R13 - Re-installed McAfee 11/6/16 (see svc reqs above), uninstalled due to ClientAnalytics 97% CPU problem a month or so ago (I relied on Windows Defender in the interim) and just re-installed McAfee on 3/29/17 and this is the version I have now after McAfee's installer installed it and, apparently, McAfee updated it.  I say this because when first installed you could get to the scheduled scan option when you clicked 'schedule and run scans' from the main menu.  The schedule option disappeared from that screen later in the day - although the main menu still says 'schedule and run scans'.

It has has custom scan as an option.  Both the regular scan and scheduled scan both allow exclusions.   The scan I initiated last night kept pausing.  I checked on it twice last night and found it paused (and it restarted).  This morning I found it paused again at 29% after 12 hours and cancelled it.    The wait until the PC is idle was unchecked.  This version also has, in scheduled scan, the check boxes for 'scan using minimal resources' and 'scan only when the PC is plugged in'.  They were both checked.  (PC was plugged in; don't know if un-checking the minimal resources box would have not caused the scan to pause).  I can re-run this later now that they are both unchecked and see if this makes a difference. 

*NOTE* When I checked it last night and found it paused I went into the windows power options and changed the 'turn off hard disk' to NEVER. I also noticed that NEVER became 0 when I went back in to check the advanced options.  I did this multiple times and NEVER, while there when I clicked apply and exited, showed as 0 when I went back in to check.  When I put 2000 minutes it stayed 2000 so I don't know if NEVER = 0 for windows in this power option.  In any event I don't want to have to run with NEVER or some large value; I use 20 minutes.

lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 35 of 38

Jump to solution

I only mentioned the HDD power option because I thought having the HDD power down might have had something to do with the scan pausing.  It shouldn't but I wanted to rule it out.  Changing the option after a scan had started and paused might not have been the best test.  I have 2 HDDs on each machine with multiple partitions on each so the 2nd HDD could easily power down while the 1st HDD is being scanned.  Windows should take care of powering it up once it is accessed and be transparent to McAfee.  One would hope...

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 36 of 38

Jump to solution

As I informed you yesterday,we had a discussion during our Conference Call Monday. Could you kindly compile a list of the of items you wish to be better informed of?

MarkR would like to know whats actually missing. suggested to send a list of features which user requires information/help

Thank you

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 37 of 38

Jump to solution

I will have to check a 14.10.r13 install if I can find 1 to see what is actually there. It is a bit superfluous as 15.1.r2 will over write it soon and scheduled scan should be in navigation. Are you saying in your copy it is not there and not available to set your own scan time?

I think 14.10.r13 is in transition some things changes some part changed they will all change soon.

Peacekeeper
Message 38 of 38

Jump to solution

Ok here is what i found looking at a 14.10.r13 install on my 3rd PC.

In scan area there are

Quick scan

Full scan

Custom scan with exclude files and folders

The 15.1.r2 install on 2nd PC does not have Custom scan as such they call a right click in explorer of a drive or folder etc a custom scan.

In Navigation the scheduled scan has got exclude folders and files in 14.10.r13 but not in 15.1.r2. As 15.1.r2 is what we all will end up with we should expect custom scan and exclude folders to go soon.

As CD mentioned if anyone sees something missing in 15.1.r2 and they really need it back post here and we will pass it on. Not that it will be added but it will be looked at.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community