Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 11 of 38

Re: Why does scheduled scanning no longer work

Jump to solution

I'd like to point out that forcing a scheduled scan to be a 'quick scan' instead of giving the users the option of doing a full or custom scan, as before, is, to me, just plain wrong.  Removing useful functionality is never received well by customers and should only be done with good reason and as a result of careful consideration. As a recently retired software engineer with 35 years of experience I know this from experience.

My machines run 24/7 and I do scans in the middle of the night and, given the constant assault our machines are under, want the most comprehensive scan possible.  A 'quick scan' will not do for me so I am forced to initiate manual scans before I go to bed at night.  Unacceptable!!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 38

Jump to solution

Trust me , no reason to to shout and 'Shoot the messenger', if you will. As we all have shared our discontent as well. I myself run a full scan periodically, not every day but often. So far the layers of protection and methodology have sufficed, as good or better than all other software. Just my 2 cents...

Thank you for your invaluable input, it is always appreciated.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 38

Jump to solution

Just for the record, Scheduled Scanning did disappear from my installation for a while but since the latest general software update a while back it reappeared.

I think you will see it reappear eventually.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 38

Jump to solution

Post #1

"

May I ask what Version /Build you are running? There is a New Version being throttled out as we speak 15.1r2, which has the next Generation Scanning Engine. In this build the Scheduled scan (has been) added back. Albeit being a *Quick Scan*, you can of course run a *Full Scan* manually.

To schedule your scan  Open your McAfee Security Center/Navigation/Scheduled Scan/expand and set scan."

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 15 of 38

Jump to solution

I didn't think I was shouting or shooting the messenger.  I was just giving my opinion as a computer professional who has dealt with this kind of issue from time to time over the years.

My scheduled scans are run twice weekly and I pay for that in burned out HDDs.  I get 1 TB HDDs for $50 these days and, with good backup programs, can replace a drive and rebuild multiple partitions in an hour or two. Obviously, that's not for everyone but it helps me to sleep better at night.  Some might consider me overly paranoid but I don't see how one can not be with all the viruses, adware, malware, junkware, browser hijackers, bot nets, rootkits and ransomware out there.  A brief look at all the incoming connections blocked by McAfee should give anyone reason to worry.  One can only wonder how many potentially bad connections are not blocked? One's computer is constantly under assault and, for most people who don't even back up files much less their system, it is just a game of playing the percentages.

So, having an automated comprehensive scanning solution is just about my not having to worry about one less thing.

Most people are oblivious (or willfully blind) to what it really takes to protect one's computer.   When their machine slows to a crawl they re-install Windows (and whatever data they lost they can live without).   McAfee probably knows that and removing/modifying scheduled scanning was something they felt they could do without much blow back and, judging by the lack of posts on the matter, they apparently were right.

lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 16 of 38

Jump to solution

I am running 15.1r2 (installed yesterday) on my W7 machine and I see it was added back (in navigation).  Right after the install it appeared in its usual place (when you click on 'schedule and run scans' from main menu).  Apparently after an update it disappeared from there and only shows in 'navigation'. 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 38

Jump to solution

True...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 18 of 38

Jump to solution

I'm hopeful it appears with an option to do a full or custom scan - that's the only way it is useful to me.  A quick scan that scans a small fraction of the 1 million files on my computer doesn't make me feel protected.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 38

Jump to solution

In other word  Mate I am basically agreeing with you..Probably could have worded it better.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 20 of 38

Jump to solution

On my W10 machine I found it scanning at 8:30 A.M. this morning.  It looks like it only started when I logged in since it was 1%.  It completed in a few minutes (security report said 8:39 A.M).  I scheduled it for 12:20 A.M. so apparently it did not run, or if it did, it did nothing for 8 hours. 

My W7 machine is scheduled for Monday at 12:20  A.M.  I will check tomorrow to see if that went off correctly.

So at this time I can only say that, while one can find scheduled scan in the navigation screens I'm not so sure it works right i.e. respects the time that you choose for your scan.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community