Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 1 of 20

Why does machine shut down during scan?

Jump to solution

Running Windows 7 Pro/64 with latest updates. McAfee Security Center 13.6 with auto updates. Subscription does not expire for 264 days.

I have "auto scan" to run on Wednesday at 2 PM. As it scanned it got to 15% and shut my machine off.

I rebooted and did a manual scan, this time it got to 22% and shut down.

I have manually rebooted 3 times on different days and get the same result.

When I reboot and open McAfee Security center it urges me to do a scan but doesn't tell me the date of the last successful scan.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 19 of 20

Re: Why does machine shut down during scan?

Jump to solution

To all who offered help I thank you. However a "half" a cigar goes to Ex Brit, when he proffered the "overheating scenario"

and the other half of the cigar goes to a netizen of an AMD forum who suggested TIM could fix my computer.

So I got TIM and  was able to do a complete scan to 100%.

If you're like me you wondered who TIM was? TIM= Thermal Interface Material, which I always just call CPU goo or grease.

The TIM on my machine was totally dry and not enhancing the heat sink affect for the CPU. The new TIM cooled it down a lot.

Sic

View solution in original post

19 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 20

Jump to solution

I moved this to the VirusScan section for better support.

Shutdown during a scan is worrying as the only reason I can think of is that the machine is overheating.  Is there anything else running?

If this is a desktop, are all your fans working and clean?   If a laptop then I'm not sure and Technical Support would probably be your best bet in any case.

Link is below and it's free by phone or online chat.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 20

Jump to solution

I forgot to ask, McAfee relies on Internet Explorer for function, so do you have IE11 installed (I'm assuming 7 is actually 7 SP1).?  (It doesn't have to be your default browser).

Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 4 of 20

Jump to solution

Machine is a desk-top. Nothing else running at shut down time. Notice that McAfee uses 54-60% of my CPU.

Used "Virtual Technician" it found two errors in registry and repaired them....did not fix my problem.

Cabinet fans "appear" to be working BUT can't remember last time I have heard them kick into high gear (3 speed).

Exhaust air warmer at 20-24 % scan than at start-up.

Will have to dig in to cabinet to see about CPU fan and  video board fans....ugh....had thought about that really didn't want to.

Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 5 of 20

Jump to solution

Running IE 10, you say I "must" have 11?

Or, McAfee "may" run better with IE 11.

thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 20

Jump to solution

Yes it may run better as it relies on the latest available for whatever system it's installed on.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 20

Jump to solution

Also I suggest you do a chkdsk as per this Tutorial as the scan may be tripping up because it can't read some sectors: Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

I would use Option 2 - the Command Prompt method and use the /r delimiter so it checks everything and makes corrections where possible.

Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 8 of 20

Jump to solution

Installed IE 11. Ran a "Quick Scan" it was O.K. However now McAfee doesn't offer me a
deep scan". Will wait till tomorrow and see if I can do a complete scan.

The "ckdrv" produced nothing.

Thanks for your help. Will check tomorrow and see what happens.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 20

Jump to solution

Chkdsk you mean, well it was merely a possible reason.   If there are further issues I think your best bet is Technical Support.

Good luck 😉

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

Two extra thoughts

1. does it jam up on the same file/

2 mcafee install could have been corrupted best to uninstall reinstall from your account

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community