cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hershmab
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Why does Windows power settings terminate a full scan?

My Windows 7 power settings include shutdown/hibernation after 2 hours (of inactivity). My last scheduled full virus scan looked as if it would take 8 hours or so and I decided to leave it to run overnight. When I came back to the PC the following morning, I found that it had shut down at some time during the night without completing the scan.

This surprised me as I had assumed that a scan would not count as inactivity. Thinking about it, I remembered that I had checked the options

1. to run the scan in the background.
  2. to close down after completion .

On the assumption that a Windows power setting would not override a running task and in the knowledge that option 2 was under the control of McAfee itself, I am left to conclude that option 1 was the problem. Can anyone confirm that running the scan in the foreground would solve the problem? Or is there a known fault in Windows 7 power settings that make the problem insoluble?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why does Windows power settings terminate a full scan?

Windows Power Settings take precedence over McAfee settings.  If you think that perhaps VirusScan should have 'keep Windows awake until scan finished' or 'shut down Windows when scan finished' options in the settings then you might want to suggest it here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

hershmab
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

I tried your suggestion of adding a new product idea via your link. But:

1. I could not find any way of doing that;
  2. When I clicked on the new idea button, I got a message that I was not authorized to use it!

I feel that this Community site is, like the McAfee support site, almost impossible to navigate concisely. If a new user does not know his/her way around such sites, there is no means of learning it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

I see you commented on an existing one OK.  That's rather strange.  You clicked on this one?

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

I see you got it to work.  I voted up the idea.  Good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community