cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisb1263
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Why can't I turn real time scanning on?

I had a few memory dump issues and ran CHKDSK utility which suggested turning off REAL TIME SCANNING.  I did that, ran the utility now I cannot seem to be able to turn it back on.  I have updated Mcafee.   Tried running MTV which said I needed updates and will update in the background.  that does not seem to be working either.  Anyone knows how to fix this issue.

5 Replies
aus_mick
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why can't I turn real time scanning on?

What McAfee product are you referring to? Have you checked your Windows Event Viewer for any log entries that might point to an issue? In my experience with VirusScan Enterprise, the On-Access Scanner is disabled when McShield.exe fails to initialise the Scan Engine (either corrupt Scan32.dll or DAT file) or other System Core components are corrupt or missing. You might also want to check that the McAfee product version you are running is actually compatible with your OS and Service Pack level (refer https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51109). I take it you have tried to re-install the VSE client? The other option is, if your system is managed via an ePO your system might have a policy associated with it to disable the OAS component. It's a bit hard to help you troubleshoot without details of the product and logs from the system.

HTH,

Mick

chrisb1263
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Sorry, for the late reply.  I am running McAfee Antivirus Plus. last updated on 5/31/15.   it was installed 12/27/15 and has been running fine.  No I have not tried to reinstall the VSE client...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Moved this to Consumer - VirusScan as a more appropriate spot for it.

I trust that VSE is not involved here as that is an Enterprise product and totally different from retail so let's leave mention of that out of the discussion.

First make sure your system is totally up to date, including the latest version of Internet Explorer, even if you don't use it, McAfee software does so it's important that it be up to date.

Secondly go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and check to see if there's an entry for Security Scan Plus, if so, uninstall it.  It's an option offered with many 3rd party products, that is not necessary if you already use the software.

Thirdly try the following:

Uninstall all McAfee products using Control Panel > Programs and Features

Reboot

Run the MCPR cleanup tool to clean all remnants from your machine and then reboot.

Reinstall from your online account, not from any media you may have.

This procedure is all outlined in this FAQ.

If all else fails, Technical Support is available free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

chrisb1263
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

thanks.  I will try the suggestions and let you if it works.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community