cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 11 of 40

Re: Where to start redirecting search results virus

I truly understanding Rooster and, as you can see McAfee's working on that problem be sure of that. So let's try to just relax and, think this thing through with good reasoning and, see if we can fix your computer find out what's going here.

Have you done a full scan yet ? By that I mean McAfee scan before you downloaded the other Security software. Can you remember. One other thing this other Security software my be in conflict with McAfee. Did you close McAfee down before using the other Security software?

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 8:02:55 PM CST
Rooster
Former Member
Message 12 of 40

Well, like I said earlier, I think I've almost run every scan out there now! First I ran the FULL virus scan in Mcafee, then found a post that said try SuperAntiSpyware Free edition so downloaded and ran it Full scan (found and removed 45 items), then downloaded and ran the Microsoft Windows Malware program Full scan that found one more thing to remove. And all these take an hour or more but at least I am keeping it at bay enough to be able to keep looking for the help I need. And later tonight, I plan on trying the process found at this link, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-live, that is supposed to work on the Live malware but I am hoping it will work on this since it sounds like it behaves about the same. But must admit I find this upcoming process a bit daunting as I am just not all that computer savvy when getting into this kind of stuff. Wish me luck!

Rooster
Former Member
Message 13 of 40

And I did the Mcafee scan before I did anything else and it found absolutely nothing. But no, I did not turn off Mcafee before I ran the other two scans but the ydid go ahead and find 45 and 1 item respectively so their scans must not have interfered with Mcafee at all. I have since removed the other programs as it looks like I will have to be downloading two more to do the fix at the link I attached and all these scanners are just getting a little crazy!

Rooster
Former Member
Message 14 of 40

And just noticed your other question and yes, I have all Microsoft updates on automatic and even go to site occasionally to have the site check for any updates I need.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 15 of 40

You're motivated with panic right now Rooster. No one and, I mean no one can think with good reasoning under these circumstances. Some Security firms, companies are not what they calm to be. I suspect this in your case.

As goofy as some folks believe Tec support is thier, some people there who have a good knowledge of what they do. The mere fact that your computer was so inflicted suggest that your IP address has been spoofed. But that's just my own opinion. So with that, that Ive just said good luck.

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 8:56:34 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 9:03:39 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 9:51:15 PM CST
donda1
Former Member
Message 16 of 40

Hello, I just joined because I have been attacked by the same problem.

It appears to be a new varient of the old adware Live antivirus, antivirus 2009 etc. blackmail fee  coupled with the destruction of your files malware.

I have a toshiba laptop with XP home premium and the malware entered as a part of a ms autoupdate, it disabled the McAfee total support package provided by Comcast.

It uses a Microsoft redirect automatic updates to a laptopantivirus site Antivirus site 2009 which will accept Visa and Mastercard.

Scanners do not find it, and it alters your system files, I am still looking at it, and short of a reformat and reinstall It doesn't look good.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 17 of 40

Thank you donda1 you are most welcome into this discussion. I have had my IP address spoofed some four years ago so I know the symptoms.

If your IP has been spoofed the only option you have is to call on the phone to your ISP and cancel subscription. The reason is because the hacker has your IP address and, well do it again. Then reformat the hard disk and, get a new ISP. That is after you've depleted all other options because your computer is nothing more then a zombie for the hacker. He has complete control over your computer to use as has proxy server.

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 9:15:33 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 9:37:30 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 11:07:55 PM CST
CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 18 of 40

Bad Boys.jpg

In reading your comment closer it came to mined something that I read on Microsoft update WebSite. There was a warning about downloading because of hackers dropping files down with java scripting. Thus leaving files as an open door for a later date for an activation point. I know when my machine was IP spoofed the hacker left a file that Virus Scan couldn't open for Months. At the time I had a DSL and had trouble getting on the Internet. One day I want into the Explorer yep there it is, in history and saw a small picture of my DSL startup diagnostic picture there. I go oh man, I've had it he's got me and I knew what I had to do.

Another indiction a real little window would come up saying something like " This copy of windows isn't authentic its pirate copy". Something I already new. IP spoofing does have inductions.

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/26/10 2:35:17 AM CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 19 of 40

Hi donda1 and roster,

These kinds of browser redirects could even be possible if a spyware has found its way to you browser addons. Check whether there exists any unusual addons, if found disable them.

Have you tried run a scan with stinger, if not try to run it fromhttp://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ , and check the results.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Rooster
Former Member
Message 20 of 40

I went and downloaded the Stinger, ran it and it showed no results. And being a bit of a dummy when it comes to this stuff, how do I check add ons? Not even sure what they are!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community