Where to start redirecting search results virus

any help where to start

39 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 40

Re: Where to start redirecting search results virus

Hi jamesmorris847,

Can you please provide more information on this?

Are you being redirected to any specific website?

Do you receive any anonymous pop ups in the computer ?

What is the version of mcafee virus scan installed in your computer ?

note:moving thread to virus scan discussions

Regards,

Dinesh K

Rooster
Former Member
Message 3 of 40

Boy, I'll be anxiously awaiting your answer too. I have gotten some sort of problem where when doing a search, once I go to any result of the search (and only sites approved by SiteAdvisor), I am redirected to some admartplace and the red balloon comes up and I get out immediately. Also had it redirect to some site that I believe the address was pow1too(???) that brought up a window saying that my computer was infected and all (but not the usual Live antivirus window I have seen mentioned on some other sites while checking my problem out). I ran a full virus scan with Mcafee, then downloaded SuperAntispyware free edition and did full scan with it. It found some things to remove that Mcafee did not but still have the problem. And one odd note-I have noticed since this started, when I open the window that I was in when this originally happened (Yahoo mail). for some reason it opens two windows. I did contact Mcafee on live chat about the problem and the response I got was that I should pay the extra $89.95 to have it taken out by the techs-something I think is outrageous since I have had Mcafee running on this computer since it was purchased new and I do NOT ever go to a site that is not approved by the SiteAdvisor-so basically I should pay extra to take out what Mcafee is refusing to protect against! I have to wonder if other users are getting the same response from chat.

Rooster
Former Member
Message 4 of 40

And just an added note-I went and also ran the Windows Malware Scan and it found one more item to block but still not fixed. I am considering trying the process found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-live that I found elsewhere but thought I would go through the easier fixes before I go through all that.

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 5 of 40

Hello Rooster, and jamesmorris847

I do understand your anger with Tech support. If you would like to report this event there click on this address please http://community.mcafee.com/message/110180#110180 and you can state your grievance there.

I'm dubious about entering this dissection humbly ask for you're understanding. The reason you were asked for the Version of the McAfee Security Center is we must have this information before proper evaluation can be made in you're situation. I will wait for that Version. For example is it 2009 Version or, 2010 Version ?

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 6:52:50 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 7:00:08 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/26/10 1:13:46 PM CST

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/26/10 1:14:49 PM CST
Rooster
Former Member
Message 6 of 40

Sorry I did not state the version but the answer requesting the version was to the original poster so I missed it. I believe I have the 2009 version as my security center looks just like the jpg you attached-not sure how to check. I have had this computer for 5 years and it came with Mcafee and I have just continued renewing ever since.

Rooster
Former Member
Message 7 of 40

And just checked on the security center "About"-says center version 9.15 and virus version 13.15-hope this helps. I'm really not that computer savvy but because I'm not, I've always been a very careful web surfer-that's why I found the chat response so infuriating-he made it seem like I went somewhere I shouldn't have so it's my fault!

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 8 of 40

To find out the version open up McAfee Security Center click "About" lower right hand side of Mcafee Center with a small arrow. There you find all the products that you have.

Rooster
Former Member
Message 9 of 40

The rest of the numbers are firewall 10.15, Advisor 3.0, Antispam 10.15 and controls 11.15

CrazyChuck
Former Member
Message 10 of 40

Are you keeping up with Microsoft pitches once every Month there security updates? Because if you don't this very thing can happen. Sometime this just happens no one's fault. But you come to the right place to get help. Be sure of that!

Message was edited by: CrazyChuck on 1/25/10 7:30:15 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community