cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoeMoff
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Viruscan 10 and zone Alarm

I am getting messages from McAfee that Viruscan 10 will no longer be supported as at 28th Feb.

Viruscan 10 ran quite happily with ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.0.483.000. I am paid up for both. I downloaded the new version of Viruscan and it says to remove Zone Alarm as it is incompatible.

Is there any way of getting these two programs to run together?

If not then I will have to dump McAfee - even though I have a year left of subscription - and run with something like Avast.
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: Viruscan 10 and zone Alarm

VirusScan 10 is no longer supported, sorry. That notice would probably be for your DAT updates expiry. VS10 went out of support at the end of the following year, i.e. 2007/2008, with the introduction of VirusScan 12 and now we are at 13.

Time to upgrade or go to another vendor.

Moved to the appropriate forum.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

I'm sorry, I misread. You did upgrade. ZoneAlarm Pro may work if you disable any active protection. I have a feeling that it's the built-in anti-spyware that VirusScan doesn't like.

Try that and report back.

Why wouldn't you use Firewall Plus which is included in your Mcafee product?

I can think of several anti-spyware programmes that are free and much better than ZA.
MoeMoff
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I uninstalled Zone Alarm and installed McAfee with firewall turned on. I really don't like the feel of it so I have uninstalled it and am giving a trial to Bitdefender Anti-virus. I have been a customer of McAfee for years - I still have a year left to run on my subscription!

McAfee firewall does not show traffic taking place as Zone alarm does on the task bar. To me that is important as is the ability to lock down from the task bar without having to enter security centre. Their Smart Defence is good too.

The one thing on the old version of McAfee I loved was the ability of the email part to scan and then send in the background when using Outlook Express. This meant that once the bar had finished quickly on Outlook Express I could open another email and prepare that whilst McAfee was sending it out in the background. Sending images to newspapers meant it saved time when time is of the essence.

It is a real shame that you cannot these days simply have an anti-virus program which can run in tandem with another program. It all has to be a bit of everything and a master of none and conflicts galore.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

I guess it's a question of preferences. I prefer things to work in as invisibally as possible.
I don't know what the rationale was behind the decision to go "suites only" but that's the case here I'm afraid.

Your subscription is to DAT updates, not the product itself as that has long expired as far as support goes.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community