Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wigtont2
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

VirusScan stuck at 99%

Hello,

I'm stuck at 99%. VS (fresh reinstall from last night) isn't responding to requests to pause, either. Like the other similar complaints, hoving over the offending file produced a blip so quick it could not be caught. However, cancelling the scan (@99%) while hovering over the file revealed the path. Followed the path and my first thought was to just delete them, or exclude from scan. But then thought maybe that's what the bad guys want. So here I am.

Probably obvious: but I'm running Windows Vista 64 on this 2009 Dell. Other threads requested a posting data from "Check Disc" and "SFC"... not sure what that is but glad to do it if it helps.

Here's the screenshots from my story.

SS1

mcafee.jpg

SS2

mcafee2.jpg

8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

Re: VirusScan stuck at 99%

Well the file is most likely ok I have that folder and a more recent version of that file but then I have win8. Checked win7 and it has an earlier 1 to the win 8 but later than yours so file seems ok.

The Checkdisk suggestion is maybe the file area on the hard disk is faulty so running a disk chkdisk via the system tools option  is a good idea.

Also first navigate to that file and right click scan it does it scan? Do same to whole folder..

See what the above shows and post back after another scan.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/03/13 4:56:15 PM
karthiks
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

wigtont2,

To Run SFC open command prompt in Run as Administrator and type  sfc /scannow and press ENTER

Post back with screen shot to know the result of the SFC scan

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

My scans get stuck at 99%, too.  Path is C:\Windows\WinSXS\...  Win8 on a Toshiba laptop.  Security Center 12.1.323, Anti-Virus 16.1.172.

Scanning on Win7 (different computer) works fine.

mcafee99.png

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Run a chkdsk as mentioned earlier, if it never proceeds to completion.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6221-chkdsk-check-drive-errors-windows-8-a.html

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/13 10:20:12 EDT AM
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Chkdsk found no errors.  McAfee still gets stuck at 99%.  And on the same file.

I can't cancel the scan, and the PC won't restart.  I have to crash it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Did you run the sfc /scannow command as suggested earlier?   That should repair this corrupted file, whatever it is.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Did you run the sfc /scannow command

No errors found.

Excluding the winsxs folder from the McAfee scan allows the scan to complete.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

The winsxs folder keeps backups of dll's and suchlike for Windows.   Maybe there's corruption in there somewhere, who knows?   Technical Support are the best people to sort it out I think.

It's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community