cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark_va_usa
Contributor II
Message 21 of 25

Re: VirusScan freezes up completely during full scan

I was finally able to get McAfee full scan run past 55% without freezing up my laptop. In fact, I am at 99%, however it has been runing at 99% for hours. McAfee full scan appears to be stuck on the NaturalLanguage6.dll file. It it is as if McAfee full scan hits an infinite do loop for this file. I do get indications McAfee is still running, like fact the circular image rotates, based on what I see in Control Panel, and fact I can Pause or select and unselect box to shutdown after scan is complete. I have a laptop with Windows 7. I have latest McAfee updates.

I also run Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which I mention because for some reason, when my laptop goes to sleep running full scan and I wake it, sometimes I see a reminder for Acoustic and Language Model Optimizer, which is part of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I did kill all running NaturallySpeaking processes,  but McAfee full scan is still staying at 99%.

mark_va_usa
Contributor II
Message 22 of 25

I just tried another full scan on my Windows 7 (Prof) HP laptop. This time, I adjusted the PowerSaver to not sleep while plugged in, turnerd off the network connection, and left laptop running all night.  The scan seemed to run better, but there is still a problem. After 9+ hours, the full scan was still running.  I now still am getting the scan to seemingly "stop" at 99%. This time, McAfee full scan appears to be stuck on a file called avantgo.browser.The "Full scan is running" is showing and the round circular icon is turning, Apparently avantgo.browser file is small - about 6K, and yet the McAfee has been scanning on just that file for at least 30 minutes. My processor is under 35% and memory useage fine, and I should have the latest update to McAfee software (they just charged my credit card last weeks for another year as well), so it is unclear why McAfee cannot complete a full scan!

mark_va_usa
Contributor II
Message 23 of 25

McAfee Total Protection Version 12.1 Build 12.1.323 and AntiVirus version 16.1 Version 16.1.172 4/6/2013 seem to be the updates that finally fixed this longstanding problem for me. My laptop finally ran a full scan successfully.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 25

Glad you are OK now.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 25

As this is such an old thread and the software ha changed drastically since it was started, the reasons for these sorts of problems change along with it, so any new cases please start your own new thread.  Thank you.

Locking this one.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community