cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keiooz
Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: VirusScan freezes up completely during full scan

Sometimes, 2GB RAM are not enough if you have a lot of applications running in your system. You may try to upgrade to 4GB and everything will surely be fine.

Gr11zzly
Former Member
Message 12 of 25

To Keiooz.  Although you may be right in some instances, I get this problem in SAFE mode with NOTHING else running.  My solution has been to wait until McAfee solves the problem.  IN the mean time my customers are moving to the free option of MS essentials.  Fast, works and free---what more can we ask for.

flogger
Former Member
Message 13 of 25

Did you say 3.8MHz processor? If that is correct, that may be the reason why your PC froze. Prcessors nowadays are around 3.8 GHz.

Gr11zzly
Former Member
Message 14 of 25

@ flogger.  Not sure whose comment you are responding to but if it was my processor---then you are right--its a quad core i7 3.8Ghz

HarrisonS
Former Member
Message 15 of 25

Thank you for pointing out my typo. I meant to say that  I am running Windows XP Professional on a single, 3.8 GHz processor on a Dell XPS whit two drives. And again it is a single processor, not a quad.   I doubt if a 3.8 MHz processor could even run the operating system, let alone McAfee!

atribo
Former Member
Message 16 of 25

Portable PC : TOSHIBA

Model : Qosmio X770

CPU : Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz

RAM : 8,00 Go

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version : 11.0.678

AffId : 642-4

Langue: fr

Last update : 10/06/2012

McAfee VirusScan

Version :15.0.302

Last update : 21/06/2012

DAT Versions: 6748

DAT creation date : 20/602012

DAT file version reserved for start : 6746.0000

creation date : 04/06/2012

Engine version : 5400.1158

I also have de same issue : my pc comletely freezes (or works at an extremly low speed) when i launch the recommended full scan.

When it freezes, windows doesn't respond anymore, even the mouse cursor freezes or is moving very slowly.

The only way to regain the pc control again is to make a manual forced hard shutdown.

Of course, this forced shutdown, while McAfee scan running, generates disk errors and the CHKDSK has to be executed to repare this all mess.

So I stated the all process again, opened the Task Manager and Ressources Monitor to visualize what's going on, and took pictures (as i know windows will freeze).

And guess what ?

This is not a CPU usage issue but a McAfee bad memory usage issue.

As you see the pictures below :

My Memory spec :

Available : 6390 Mo

In cache  : 3150 Mo

Total     : 8098 Mo

Installed : 8192 Mo

1) No application running : everything is running fine.

mc1.jpg

Harware   :   94 Mo

In Use    : 1350 Mo

Modify    :  358 Mo

Standby   : 2792 Mo

Free      : 3598 Mo

2) Starting McAfee Full scan : running fine (as it should)

mc2.jpg

Harware   :   94 Mo

In Use    : 1572 Mo

Modify    :  156 Mo

Standby   : 3102 Mo

Free      : 3268 Mo

3) And when scan hits a big file : mcshield is awfully eating 4441 Mo of Memory... why so much ?

No way! there shoud be definately a bug there, nothing else is left free for the system and is strangling windows (its a shame!)

mc3.jpg

Harware   :   51 Mo

In Use  : 7756 Mo <== McAfee shame

Modify    :  291 Mo

Standby   :   51 Mo <== McAfee shame

Free      :    0 Mo <== McAfee shame

4) well, McAfee tries to do it's job though but since everything is asphyxiated

it will take years to complete (too bad?... no, just inacceptable !!!!)

mc4.jpg

Harware   :  508 Mo

In Use    : 7278 Mo <== still a McAfee shame

Modify    :  312 Mo

Standby   :  456 Mo <== still a McAfee shame

Free      :   52 Mo <== still a McAfee shame

Hope McAfee will, for his sake, FIX this memory usage issue shortly.

McAfee support can easily understand that if its recommanded "full scan" feature is

- freezing the all system indefinitly,

- forcing hard shutdown to regain control,

- forcing CHKDSK being executed to repare McAfee scan damages,

customers will soon or later abandon McAfee services and choose alternate ones like Avast.

My wish is to keep McAfee services as long as the main features are running smoothly.

Gr11zzly
Former Member
Message 17 of 25

I gave up---I'm no longer doing the QA for this company.  managing quite well with the free security essentials and have done the same for my other clients.

mark_va_usa
Contributor II
Message 18 of 25

I seem to be having the same issues lately - HP laptop Intel Core i3 M250 2.27Mhz 4 GB, Windows 7 - when I run McAfee full scan, the system freezes requiring hard shutdown to regain control. Also perplexing is that I have had same laptop and McAfee software on it for many years, and the full scans used to work, but now I seem to see these freezing problems often. There are times when I can get a full scan done, but given the fact that a failure and freeze forces one to start over, given full scan takes hours, and given the laptop isn't very responsive to run other programs while full scan is running, it makes it hard to get work done. Again, a solution from McAfee would be preferred for loyal customers!

mark_va_usa
Contributor II
Message 19 of 25

Oh - I will add, if I try to let the scan run overnight, so as to minimize impact to me using laptop for work, the scan seems to temporarily stop and not complete, as if the power settings sense no action and hibernate. When I come back to the laptop, it may show 33% complete, so I resume the scan, it continues for a time (say to 55%), and then freezes up system completely.

pauldous
Former Member
Message 20 of 25

Macafee phoned me and told me it was a problem with a windows system file and to go to the computer agent. Instead I just reloaded windows myself and it solved the problem. It is just a long slow process to reload windows if you have a disc full of audio, video, photo files etc because to ensure you don't lose them you have to copy them somewhere , reload windows and then copy them back.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community