cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarrisonS
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

VirusScan freezes up completely during full scan

Since my last complete run of a full scan of  McAfee VirusScan on August 31,  my computer freezes up completely part way through the scanning.  In fact, It is so completely frozen that I cannot open any other application, including Task Manager, and I cannot even do a normal shutdown.  I have tried to run VirusScan several times since then, but this happens every time without fail.  I have to rely on MalwareBytes, which reports no problems or malicious software.

Again yesterday, after trying to run McAfee VirusScan, my computer froze up completely, after that application had reached "27% complete".   Again, there was no alternative, but to do an improper shutdown by shutting the power off.  Since then, every time I start my computer, I get a message that says,

Checking file system on 😧

The type of file system is NTFS.

The volume is dirty.

IIt then does a time consuming run of CHKDSK on drive D:, and then shows the results, which are completely normal and error free.  (Note: I have two hard drives, C: and D:.)  If I run CHKDSK from drive 😧 using the command line, again, I get completely normal results.  If I try CHKDSK/F it complains that "another process is using drive D"" even though I have no applications running.

What exactly is the problem with McAfee VirusScan, and how can I fix it?

24 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 25

Re: VirusScan freezes up completely during full scan

Hi there,

Kindly update us with the below details

What is the operating system of the computer ?

What is the RAM size and Hard drive free space

McAfee Version details ;

Virus scan Version

DAT :

Regards,

HarrisonS
Former Member
Message 3 of 25

Thank you for your reply.  Here are the details you requested:

What is the operating system of the computer ?           Windows XP Professional

What is the RAM size and Hard drive free space         2 Gigabytes

Drive C:  24 GB in use;  119  GB free

Drive 😧  18 GB in use;  231 GB free 

McAfee Version details ;        McAfee SecurityCenter Version 11.0

Build 11.0.608;  Affld 105; Last update 10/11/2011

Virus scan Version ;              McAfee VirusScan Version 15.0

Build 15.0.291;  Last update 10/11/2011

DAT :              Version 6495;   Creation Date: 10/10/2011

Boot DAT:      Version 6488.0000;  Creation Date: 10/3/2011

If you need any further details or clarification, please let me know!

Thanks again,

HarrisonS

Message was edited by: HarrisonS on 10/11/11 8:45:53 AM GMT-08:00
Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 25

Hi Harisson ,

In our 2011 version of Virus scan , there is feature called :Scan using minimal resoures which helps in reducing the scan take up much time . Can you please Turn off the Scan Using Minimal Computer Resources option and let us know th\e status

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
  2. From McAfee SecurityCenter, expand Virus and Spyware Protection.
  3. Click Scan Your PC.
  4. On the Scan Your PC page, click Run a custom scan.
  5. Under Settings, deselect Scan using minimal resources.

NOTE: 2011 customers must open the Customize Your Scan drawer, then select Scan using minimal resources.

When you disable Scan Using Minimal Computer Resources, your scan speed should increase and the lock up should not occur.

Also, let us know if you can capture the path where the scan locks

Regards,

HarrisonS
Former Member
Message 5 of 25

Hi Dinesh,

Thank you for your reply.  I will try this just as you suggested.  It may be a couple of days or so before I get back with you on this, but I will let you know if I have any questions.

I truly hope the computer doesn't freeze up like this again!

Harrison

HarrisonS
Former Member
Message 6 of 25

Hi Dinesh,

You weren't kidding when you said "your scan speed should increase".   Using the Task Manager I noticed that the CPU utilization had increased to 100%, whereas normally it runs around 40%, as I recall.  As a result, I was a bit worried that it might overheat and damage the CPU, so I aborted the run after a few minutes.  Do you have any suggestions?

It would be nice to find out where the freeze-up was occurring, but after the problem that resulted from an improper shutdown (which was resolved after a few days), but I am also a bit reluctant to try that again.  I think the freeze-up occurred on drive D:, which is largely just used for data storage.

Harrison

Dinz
Former Member
Message 7 of 25

Hi Harrison,

Now, that said it would require a remote session to find out where the freeze occurs and McAfee logs would have some information on why it hangs . Please click on Useful links at the top of this page and click on Technical support so our McAfee tech could help you raise your case up further.

Regards,

pauldous
Former Member
Message 8 of 25

Hi,

I have the same problem. When I run full scan it works fine until it is 19% complete then it freezes. It does eventually scan the file it froze on and then freezes on all subsequent files. At this rate it would take a few weeks to complete the full scan (The quick scan works fine). McAfee won't cancel the scan with the cancel button, and Task Manager and Shutdown won't work. The only way to stop it is to hold down the power button on the computer.

I tried all the fixes suggested from a mail to the support staff without success and was elevated to the second level. The technician who phoned me spoke very poor english and I could hardly understand him but he did email me with some suggestions which I tried and made no differance at all. I am now waiting for the next follow up call.

Disabling "Scan using minimal resources" made no differance.

regards

Paul

Gr11zzly
Former Member
Message 9 of 25

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Currently running an on demand scan MCODS.exe is using 94% of RAM in safe mode?

Ran this overnight and it didn't complete. 

MCODS seems to not give control back to the OS---like its waiting for something.  Every 15 to 20seconds the OS gets control and mouse will move then freeze.

Control Alt delete does eventually respond---about a minute.  Running task manager to see what's happening but other than the 94%RAM and 4% CPU is see nothing that points to the issue.

I had this problem last week as well and in frustration removed McAfee and scanned with an alternate product ( MS essentials and another freeware program) can scan with those without an issue.  Reinstalled McAfee and tried a full scan again and got the same problem in normal mode so now trying in SAFE MODE.

According to the performance monitor the disk is delivering 154,822,000 B/sec to MCODS.  MCODS has 4,031,160KB committed RAM adn 287,584KB of working RAM.

That commit ram seems as if its all we have and from a previous observation seems to 'grow' over time as if memory is not being released?

It been about an hour now and we are at 37% and still on the C drive--

The system is windows 7x64 with a quad core 3GHz pentium

-I have 3 disks and 2 partitions each.  Most of the partitions are on the do not scan list.

Any suggestions would be good.

Right now I'm about to kill this scan, remove Mc Afee and use MS essentials until I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks

HarrisonS
Former Member
Message 10 of 25

Thank you for your input.  Actually, after about two more months, the problem finally "went away".  I assume that one of the many McAfee automatic updates finally corrected the bug.  As always, though, the full scan still takes a long time; perhaps five hours, although it seems to vary somewhat.  I am running Windows XP Professional on a single, 3.8 MHz processor on a Dell XPS whit two drives.  The two drives are about 20% and 8% full, respectively.  If they contained more data, the scan time would probably be even longer.  I also run the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware application about once a week.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community