Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
traveler1
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

VirusScan Plus not installing

Hi there,

After my subscription ended and my computer was at risk, I recently purchased McAfee VirusScan Plus 1-year subscription. When told to download the program online I followed the instructions and the software began to install. But for some reason it encountered a problem and could not finish installing. The error message I received was the following: "Installation Cannot Continue We're having trouble installing your McAfee software. Here are some things you can do to fix this:"

I uninstalled my previous McAfee Security System, so no trace of it is left to conflict with the more recent installation. I downloaded the McAfee Virtual Technician, which reported that there were no programs to identify.

I have Windows Vista and Webroot Spy Sweeper (would that cause any problems?)

I apologize for any lack of information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 Replies
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 2 of 4

RE: VirusScan Plus not installing

You might want to use the uninstall program from McAfee: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products ... first and then reboot and try to reinstall the program. You have to do this as 'administrator' of your computer.

It might also help if you uninstall the spysweeper program first too. It may have some conflicts when Mcafee tries to install its program.

Let us know how it goes...
traveler1
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

RE: VirusScan Plus not installing

I followed the link you posted, and found this:

The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix.

I tried to find it through another link but stumbled across the same message.

Also, is it necessary to uninstall the Spy Sweeper? The program was already installed on my computer when I purchased it, so not only will I be completely unprotected against threats but I'm not certain that I can re-install it.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it
sriyam
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Re: VirusScan Plus not installing

I am also facing the same problem with Internet Security 2009. I am using windows vista premium edition on my lappy. Some critical error forced me to use the system recovery manager and the settings changed to factory settings. Before doing the i have taken backup of whole system. I successfully recovered my system and updated the O.S to sp1.

Unistalled the Syamntec Antivirus which comes with vista using symatec tools. Tried to install the IS 2009 from my account but i am getting the error as "Installation Cannot Continue We're having trouble installing your McAfee software. Here are some things you can do to fix this:".  I tried with MVT but that was not at all helpful. I used the MCPR tool also but still the same problem persists. Can any one throw some light.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community