cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pixie6
Former Member
Message 11 of 16

RE: VirusScan Plus 2009/Security Center issue

No, it wasn't getting passed the "gathering information" stage and I left it on for about seven hours overnight. Is there something else I can do? Can I reinstall from the CD for now?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 16

Do you have any other protection software installed?

Also make sure that Internet Explorer is set to default settings under Tools/Internet Options/Security (all zones default) and the Advanced tab - default, Content tab, make sure that Content Advisor is NOT enabled.

Clear all your temporary files etc.

Try the CD, it may work but make sure you update immediately.
pixie6
Former Member
Message 13 of 16

I don't have any other protection software installed that I know of, other than Windows firewall, etc.

I downloaded the SUPERspyware removal program you had recommended to someone else in another post (thank you!) to do some clean up and I have another PC Optimizer to help clean up too...I mainly use Mozilla Firefox for my browsing but I'll check the IE settings when I get home.

Whenever I try to clear my private data from Firefox, it never seems to clear my browsing history/list of visited websites/cache....could this be part of the problem?

If I can't download from the website again tonight, I'll try the CD and update if possible. Will let you know how it works! Thanks for all your help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 16

McAfee uses Internet Explorer so it's important that it is up to date and set correctly. Even if your default browser is Firefox that doesn't matter. When I said clear temporary files I meant in Internet Explorer plus via Control Panel/System & Maintenance - do a general cleanup there.
pixie6
Former Member
Message 15 of 16

Everything downloaded successfully with your advice and after I used IE to download the software! Hoorah!

I will be recommending these support forums to other McAfee users I know, it was fantastic and speedy assistance. Thanks again!!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 16

It's so nice to get positive comments from people we help. Glad it's OK now and good luck. Moved to the solved area.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community