cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pixie6
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

VirusScan Plus 2009/Security Center issue

Last year I purchased the boxed McAfee SecurityCenter which worked fine for me as a person not too tech savvy with all the virus protection programs - my problem is, I just recently purchased the McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 for 1 PC (whereas the SecurityCenter was for 3 PCs and cheaper at the time) and I am getting a message now in the securitycenter that says my Computer and Files are not protected.

I have tried to Update but do not see the animated arrow and also keep getting a popup message that says I need to renew. Is my system not recognizing the new software? I've been attempting to follow some of the other help topics here that have similar problems but I'm not sure where to start. Could someone please clarify?
15 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 16

RE: VirusScan Plus 2009/Security Center issue

Please clarify/follow the below .

1.What is the Operating system?

2.Check the system date & time.Verify if it is correct?

3.Do you have old mcafee installed in the computer, If so uninstall the mcafee programs using the link: http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777217.Then try installing McAfee Virus Scan Plus that you have purchased.
pixie6
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Bala,

I have Windows XP. I'm currently at work so I can't check the system date and time but would you be kind enough to tell me where I can find that info and I'll post it here when I get home?

I do have other old versions installed still, though I suppose I left them on there because every time I updated McAfee it would say it uninstalled the older versions. So it's safe to uninstall the other ones in Add/Remove?

Is VirusScan Plus supposed to automatically protect computer & files? I was reviewing the box last night and it seemed to just mention internet protection so I was sort of worried. Sorry - am not too familiar with virus software, thanks for being patient.

By the way, I was able to get the rotating animated arrow when I hit Update this morning though it didn't do much but remind me that I needed to renew :/null
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Date and time is in the system tool bar in Right hand bottom lower corner of the screen you have to move you’re cursor over the Time to check the Date in the system.

Since you’re try to install the McAfee Virus scan in the computer where you had the McAfee securityCenter, You have to uninstall and reinstall the McAfee.

McAfee Removal tool:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
and try to follow Document ID: TS100342:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100342&lang=en_US&prior_tid=10&AnswerID=16777216&tur...

please let us know if it works:)
pixie6
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Still at work but meant to ask...does it matter that the VirusScan Plus is the boxed version? I noticed when I logged in to my account here after I installed everything from disk that I had the option to download it - so I guess my question is after I remove the older versions can I just download from my account here on the website or do I need to reinstall again from the CD?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 16

Use your account.
pixie6
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

Great! Thanks Ex_Brit. Will update here again once I've done everything else and let you guys know if it worked.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

It's always best to use the account as it gives the latest build. Good luck.
pixie6
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Hi there,

Was able to uninstall everything from the directions and DMS.exe cleaned everything successfully. I chose the Dell user option to do my download but it seems to be taking a while to 'gather information' - is this normal?

My system date and time are correct.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Sometimes it seems to take a long time. Did it work in the end?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community