cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dazzler22
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

VirusScan Never Completes Scan

Just found this forum through Google, I have this problem with the latest security centre, im not sure what version of virus scan it is as i cant seem to find a version number anywhere.

I have a large dir full of drivers and tools and it is all sub foldered off so that it is easy to find, because of this folder my system has never completed a full scan in the 2 months i have had mcafee installed. (It is mostly zip and rar files that im not prepared to delete!)

will be watching this thread for a fix.....

Cheers
Dazzler

Moved to your own thread for better attention - MOD
7 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: VirusScan Never Completes Scan

Hi Dazzler,

It’s very simple to find out the version details> Open McAfee Security Center> On the right bottom you will have About> Click on it and check the version details for all the installed McAfee programs

Also, please clarify the below:

• How big is the directory (the Size of the folder or drive)
• Did the scan get stuck or taking a long time to complete the scan only on that particular folder or with all the file/ folders
• Have you tried with Quick Scan?
dazzler22
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Hi There,
The version numbers are as follows:-

Security Center V8.1 Build 8.1.175
VirusScan V12.1 Build 12.1.110
Firewall V9.1 Build 9.1.108

the dir that it is scanning is around 60-80gb with 2000+ files all organized into folders.

The full system scan or quick scan always fails on this folder, it will keep trying to scan for a day or so and then crash with a microsoft error report. next time it does i will copy the details of the report and see if there is anything worthy in it.

I have reinstalled windows recently and also moved the data onto a new HDD and still have the same result, the strange thing is that other virus scanners have no problem completing a full system scan including this folder.

any help appreciated.

Thanks
Dazzler
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Dazzler,

So you mean the issue is only with that particular directory, so why don’t you have them moved to a different location/ external drive permanently where the McAfee will not scan it again?
CrankyBeach
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I am having a similar problem and I find this "solution" COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Just move the offending directory so it won't be scanned? WHAT??! What if there's a virus hiding somewhere in that directory?? What the ::bleep:: kind of answer is THAT?? We're paying good money for this??

My system has gotten horribly slow, and the only solution I haven't tried (because I haven't been able to) is to scan it thoroughly for viruses.

I have security center version 9.3, build 9.3.137, and virus scan 13.3, build 13.3.115, most recently updated just today. I too have not been able to complete a virus scan on my computer since I can't remember when. Recently, I noticed it was getting hung up on a large document directory. I was able to safely archive that folder to an external hard drive, and tried the virus scan again. This time, it got hung up on AOL instant messenger. Since I don't use that anymore, I uninstalled it from my system and tried again.

Now it's getting hung up on one of the XML files in C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\DataColl.

Every single thing I can find online about this particular folder is that it is an important system folder and things in it should NOT be deleted. Or moved to an external drive, I would presume.

So much for your "solution." You got anything to offer that might actually work?

Edited to add: Adding insult to injury, I keep getting pop-ups that scream that my computer is not fully protected, because a full scan has not been run in the last 30 days.

Well, duh.
My system is XP service pack 3.
rockieestes
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Scan does not complete, and more.

SecurityCenter 8.1, VirusScan 12.1, Personal Firewall 9.1

I have the same problems. I have a second hard drive with large .ZIP and .RAR back up files containing large macro driven Excel files, as well as various other large files. After several hours each attempt, McAfee has never finished a scan. I cannot exclude the specific files from a scan either. Also, due to Real Time Scanning, I assume, my three computers have become very, very slow (long pauses) when dragging files into folders, opening and closing files, etc. I recently removed Symantec/Norton Security Suite. I have heard a lot of complaints about it, but it was a problem free rocket compared to this, and it never got stuck and you could exclude any file from being scanned. Both software suites were offered by AT&T DSL through their contract with first Symantec and now McAfee. McAfee refused support due to this arrangement, and AT&T has proven to not have adequate knowledge, let alone expertise in the matter.
CrankyBeach
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Bumping thread

Let's see... I posted my question in this thread nearly 2 weeks ago now... and nobody from McAfee has let out a peep.

They call this technical support?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

RE: Bumping thread

This forum is manned, for the most part, by unpaid volunteers and is not Technical Support per se.

BalaSGS is McAfee and he has answered the original poster twice. Actual Technical Support is via the link at top left of this page - either Chat or Email. I recommend Chat as it is faster. It's also free.

Unfortunately this often happens when you tag onto someone else's thread instead of starting your own.

If VirusScan hangs on a certain file there isn't much you can do except either move the file elsewhere where it wont be scanned or skip the file as VirusScan obviously cannot unpack it.

Try going to the file in Windows Explorer and right-clicking it and selecting Scan. See how it copes with that.

That's why I find it best to cancel scheduled scanning and only do manual ones, then I can be around to check it out from time to time.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community