cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolcaslow
Former Member
Message 1 of 24

VirusScan Blocking Downloader as 'Trojan'

Every time I try to use the online game version of Bejeweled2 on PopCap Games.com, my McAfee VirusScan automatically blocks and removes the 'downloader.x' program, as a Trojan. If I disable VirusScan, and get the ActiveX program downloaded, VirusScan removes the program the next time I use it. The pop-up message I get is: "McAfee has automatically blocked and removed a Trojan" - there is no option given for manual action. This has just started recently - I previously used this game with no problems. What can I do about it? (I am using VirusScan Version 13.0 - Build 13.0.218)
23 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 24

RE: VirusScan Blocking Downloader as 'Trojan'

The only way is to submit it, if you can, to Avert labs who will issue you with an extra.dat if it is in fact OK.

You may have to disable VirusScan again in order to accomplish it.

Send a file to Avert for analysis:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp
or
Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com
When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.
carolcaslow
Former Member
Message 3 of 24

VirusScan Blocking Downloader as 'Trojan' (reply)

I am sorry, but your reply has confused me... what is it I am supposed to submit? I don't have the 'downloader.x' file because VirusScan keeps blocking and/or removing it. Also, I do not have a program to 'zip' files, so I guess I am not going to get any help here...
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 24

RE: VirusScan Blocking Downloader as 'Trojan' (reply)

Open the McAfee security centre

on the left pane locate restore
click on that and then on left top corner
locate quarantine.
click on that and locate the file that was caught.
note its location and restore it.
then click on home on the left pane
then click on the Computer and file--->configure
turn off the virus protection
close the security center
go the location noted
submit the file that was caught.
once this is done open McAfee security center and click fix to turn on the protection back
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 24

I do not have a program to 'zip' files, so I guess I am not going to get any help here...

If you are using XP or Vista they both have their own zip utility built in. You just right-click a file and "Send to" a compressed (zipped) folder, however Vista does not have the ability to password protect a zipped file. You would need to download the free version of 7-Zip or Winzip trial version for that.
carolcaslow
Former Member
Message 6 of 24

Thank you - I followed your instruction - under 'Quarantined Programs and Tracking Cokies' there are no entries. It just says "No items exist'

Now what?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 24

Then it must be preventing the website form downloading it in the first place. Perhaps it is up you the website's owner to report it. Maybe you should ask them?
carolcaslow
Former Member
Message 8 of 24

I reported it to them - they don't know why it is doing this now, and didn't before - they suggested it was a problem with a McAfee update that has changed something. I am in the position of having both 'entities' pointing to the other as being the cause of the problem.

Thank you for the information on the Windows XP 'Zip' program - I was not aware of that.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 24

You are welcome. Vinod? Any ideas regarding this?
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Hmm.. Interesting...

Try this...
disable the McAfee as I mentioned and then download the software and see if its ok...

then enable the McAfee and not the actual response...
if you do not see any response go to the folder where it is installed and right click and scna the folder.

Again post back with details..
file...
software... and other details..
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community