dial-up connections can be a major pain for many reasons beyond bandwidth
limitations.

He can
update two ways:

1)   
Leave
the system running and go get a coffee for 10 minutes + the time it takes his
bandwidth to download the ‘gem’ (delta) files.  Note:  if he leaves it for more
than 15 days, his system will download the entire DAT set (currently 108 MB), so
it may not be wise to wait.

2)   
Manually
run an update.  Manual updates are required by many (most?) 3rd Party
apps utilities as well, so this shouldn’t be problematic for most Windows
users.

BTW, the
wait-time for both scheduled scans and updates is what I call the 10-10-10
rule:

1)   
minutes of keyboard and mouse inactivity

2)   
seconds of CPU usage that is less than

3)   
percent resource use (on older or overloaded systems, this can be a
problem)

Also, as
for scheduled scans, not updates, they are talking about including a way to turn
off this wait timer, sometime around May 2011.

treebeard77
Former Member
Message 32 of 37

Re: VirusScan 2010 autoupdates

Speedy- yes, but..

1) yes,I have an older HP Business PC with only an 850Mz processor.  Perhaps Santa will find the money to fix that this year.

2) I have left the machine on and went to dinner for AN HOUR and nothing updated.

3) I am quite aware that I can do the updates manually.  That is indeed what I have been doing for months now.

4) 10-10-10 algorithmmst have a BIG hole in as the only autoupdate that I actually have happen occured in the MIDDLE of a major Microsoft update (which kept my PC VERY busy for quite a while.)

Maybe the software analysts there need to do a little more checking on the gap between what is supposed to be and what is.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 37

I quite understand.   Let's hope Santa's good to you and all the best.

treebeard77
Former Member
Message 34 of 37

I got LOW speed DSL a few weeks ago -- which I do not leave turned on.  In addition to using unnecessary electricity, it keeps the SAME IP address which makes life easier for hackers and attackers.

The results are that the updates download MUCH faster (which is obvious), happen automatically about 75% of the time, and the rest of the updating happens when I manually check for updates.

My HP Vectra 400 with its blazing 850MHz processor has not changed.  That means that the biggest part of this problem was the Dial-Up service, NOT the machine.  Perhaps the program analysts will need to revisit their assumptions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 37

Open a case with Technical Support if you feel strongly about it.   It's a good point.

The easiest way to bring about change is to participate in beta testing and use the Bug reporting function to suggest changes.

See:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/12/10 6:55:02 EST PM
treebeard77
Former Member
Message 36 of 37

I opened this thread on July 16, 2010, and after five months nothing has changed so forgive me if I decline to participate in a Beta program (which in nothing more than the 21st century way of getting customers to test products that businesses do not want to spend the money to thoroughly test before they sell them to the public).

I have uninstalled McAfee Antivirus Plus 2010 and will find some other antivirus product.

I pray that God will protect the unsuspecting dialup users.

andyross
Former Member
Message 37 of 37

I agree. My computer auto-updated to this version shortly after renewing for the year. It was downhill from there. A month or two later, it self-destructed and corrupted itself. A reinstall failed. I ended up dumping it and going with MSE. Microsoft recently came out with version 2 of MSE, which is supposed to have a few new features.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community