cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianswilson
Former Member
Message 21 of 37

Re: VirusScan 2010 autoupdates

I also have problems with updates, however mine is with the manual updates. A thunderstorm took out my power and when McAfee came up it had somehow corrupted itself. The recommended solution was to reinstall McAfee which I did. Unfortunately whenever I click the manual update all I ever see is 0% completed no matter how long I let it run. This is been reported to the help desk several times and I've even paid for technical support; however no solution has been provided and the tickets are simply closed after a few days.

While McAfee says the update are running, I still have a number of other issues that are not resolved and do not trust the McAfee reports.

on 8/29/10 7:58:38 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 37

If paid tech support failed to fix anything then you should be able to obtain a refund by calling Customer Service - linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

I'm surprised they closed the issue unsolved.   You may wish to ask tech Support Chat to escalate the issue.

brianswilson
Former Member
Message 23 of 37

I was told that the fee was not refundable, even if they were not able to fix the issue, when I agreed to pay.  Given the poor performance of McAfee Total Protection and the McAfee support team, I think I prefer to find a better product, with better support, and move on.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 37

That's too bad and I wish you the best of luck.

andyross
Former Member
Message 25 of 37

I was recently 'auto-updated' to the latest version. Since then, as mentioned here, it doesn't auto-update the definitions like it used to. It seems as if McAfee is TOO concerned with slowing the computer down, so is HYPERSENSITIVE to any computer usage and keeps pushing it back, even if it means no updates for several DAYS. This is NOT acceptable.

I have a broadband connection, but do NOT leave the computer on all the time. I turn it on, use it for awhile, then turn it off. Apparantly, I have to waste $$$ on electricity and let the computer sit for 20-30 minutes before it will auto-update.

Given how fast things change, this is really dangerous and a disservice to customers. It seems that when the definitions are more than 24 hours old, it should start getting more aggressive at doing the update. After 48 hours, make it a PRIORITY.

This update occured after paying $$ to continue my subscription, something I now regret. I find the new interface very confusing and cramped, and the auto-update method to be dangerously weak.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 37

It should hold off for 10 minutes if it detects activity above 10%, Then wait another 10 minutes and if no change go ahead anyway.   Mine updates OK and my PC is constantly active with dozens of  distributed computing applications running.

Check it out for a while and see how it goes.   The updates are silent unless you have set them not to be of course.

treebeard77
Former Member
Message 27 of 37

I am still doing my updates manually before I disconnect from the Internet and have never seen the autoupdate symbol in the tray, except last Monday or Tuesday (cant' remember which).  On that day there were a bunch of Microsoft Windows XP mandatory updates, including one that was very large (which I notice over a dial-up network).  Amazingly after downloading them while the largest update was in the process of appying, SHAZAM!  The McAfee Autoupdate kicked off and STOPPED the Microsoft update dead in its tracks.  After the McAfee update was all done, the Microsoft update resumed.

In all of my years I have NEVER heard of anyone thinking it is OK to update an application WHILE the operating system is being updated.  This autoupdate was more than a little scary.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 37

It would have been Tuesday most likely as that was Microsoft "Update Tuesday" - every month on the 2nd Tuesday they send out a batch of security updates.

It's odd to see it happening together but one must have already started in motion I guess.,  I've seen it happen rarely.

The autoupdates are normally quite silent and occur once daily as a rule.  I've only actually seen mine updating once in several months but I know from checking that it updates daily.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/11/10 8:46:47 CST AM
treebeard77
Former Member
Message 29 of 37

Has there been any news about getting the autoupdate function fixed for dialup users who do not stay connected for long?  I am STILL doing my updates manually everytime that I log on.  You said you thought that it might be fixed in a patch or the next release.  Any further word?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 37

I honestly don't know as I've been away but will ask.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/11/10 8:52:21 CST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community