Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AceH
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

VirusScan 2010 Scan Duration - LONG

Jump to solution

Running the latest VirusScan on a Desktop Computer with Win Vista Home Premium 32 BIT system 300 GB Hard Drive.  Scheduled scans take more than 8 hours to complete.  Scan is set to start @ 4:00 AM, at the time of this posting (10:35 AM) scan is only 22% complete.  I just unchecked "scan using minimal resources" (on this computer ONLY) while it was at 22% and it appears to be no difference in speed.

I have an OLD laptop (5 years old) running Win XP SP3 with 100 GB Hard Drive and Scheduled Scans take about an hour and a half .  Scheduled scan is also started at 4:00 AM. Default setting of "scan using minimal resources" is CHECKED on this OLD laptop and it's still scans much faster than the newer desktop mentioned above.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Re: VirusScan 2010 Scan Duration - LONG

Jump to solution

That is good news so far. I believe the default for the scheduled scan is at 4:00am on Friday mornings. You can of course change it to whatever time you choose. I have mine set to run at 12:15am while everyone is sleeping and it only takes about 1 1/2 hours to scan over 225000 files. When you are satisfied that your machine is running as it should, please go back in to this thread and mark it as being answered so that others may see what we attempted to do to get your issue resolved.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

4 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

You might want to consider uninstalling via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. I would next suggest to you to run the MCPR removal tool found at the top of this page under Useful Links to remove any traces of the software that failed to completely remove and reboot again. Go to your online McAfee account and download and install your software and see if there is any improvement. If still having the same problem(s) try running the McAfee Virtual Technician. MVT scans your computer for McAfee related issues and will attempt to fix them. Post the session ID here on the forum and contact Technical Support Chat if necessary for further diagnosis of your issue. They can remote connect to your computer if necessay to have a look inside provided you give them permission to do so, and have many more tools at their disposal to fix issues such as yours.

Let us know how this works for you.

AceH
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

I followed the instructions given and now I'm doing a custom scan of my C drive that appears to be running faster.  I'll just wait until my next scheduled scan for the real test.

Thanks for all the help with this issue.

P.S.  Still does not display the scan progress with the tooltip (Win Vista Home Premium Macine).

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

That is good news so far. I believe the default for the scheduled scan is at 4:00am on Friday mornings. You can of course change it to whatever time you choose. I have mine set to run at 12:15am while everyone is sleeping and it only takes about 1 1/2 hours to scan over 225000 files. When you are satisfied that your machine is running as it should, please go back in to this thread and mark it as being answered so that others may see what we attempted to do to get your issue resolved.

Good Luck

AceH
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Just completed a scheduled scan in a little over one hour.  Works fine.  Thanks.  Issue solved!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community