cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pimjoosten
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

VirusScan 13 and ZoneAlarm Pro

I have always been using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall and since a little more than a year combined with McAfee AntiVirus Plus for my anti-virus protection. During installation I always switched off the firewall function in McAfee, so that was never installed. ZoneAlarm refuses to be installed when McAfee is installed. The workaround I used for that is to install ZoneAlarm Pro first and then McAfee. However, ever since version 13 (2009) of McAfee, McAfee now also refuses to be installed when ZA is present. I think this is weird, because these programs always functioned perfect alongside eachother, as long as I did not have McAfee’s firewall installed. Does anyone have a solution?

I get McAfee AntiVirus Plus for free from my ISP, so that’s a good choice for antivirus. However, I like and trust ZA’s firewall better and would really like to keep that too. Moreover, I recently renewed my subscription for two years.

BTW: the problem is the same on my XP PC, my Vista 32-bit laptop and my Vista 64-bit PC. On my laptop and XP PC I can still use version 12 (2008) of McAfee, but for my 64-bit machine I need to use McAfee’s latest version.

Thank you for your input!
4 Replies
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

RE: VirusScan 13 and ZoneAlarm Pro

Quote: 'Does anyone have a solution?'

What you want is almost certainly not possible. Trying to find a way is most probably a waste of time. I'm actually surprised that the previous McAfee version allowed that combination.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

Zonealarm Pro contains antispyware software which will clash with VirusScan. Far better to use McAfee's firewall, then at least you wont be getting these problems. It is, after all, included with whatever suite you have.
pimjoosten
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your responses. It seems like I have to make a choice: either use all functionalities in McAfee, or just leave McAfee behind. I am going to look into that before making my final choice. In the mean time I will also use McAfee's firewall and not ZA for the moment.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

It's your choice of course. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community