cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dogfish88
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Virus scans cause machine to be unusable even with pleanty of resources.

McAfee Total Protection is pretty much unusable for me. It runs forever and uses so many resources that my machine is slow to the point of being unusable.

I am running an i7 4 core which is 97% idle when I start the scan and 8gb of memory 30% unused.

I just scanned a 786mb file and it took over 5 min.

I'd be very appreciative for any insite regarding  this.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Virus scans cause machine to be unusable even with pleanty of resources.

It shouldn't be doing that unless it's having a problem unpacking a zipped file or there are hard disk read errrors, for instance.

Make sure it is set to use minimal resources under scan settings.

If there is still a problem run the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes anything http://mvt.mcafee.com/ and if that doesn't help then contact Technical Support at the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

It's free by phone or online chat.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/06/13 2:06:21 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community