cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Treau
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Virus scan not working

After the scan starts, a message is promped: error getting scan progress. Then windows error message shows up, Mcafee virus scan is not working correctly and mcafee is shutting down. This happens when I start manualy a scan or also a scheduled scan. Contacted mcafee help chat twice, they couldn't find the problem. Please can anybody help me for this problem.

12 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: Virus scan not working

Hi,

Please provide the following information to assist you better;

What is the operating system?

How old is the computer ?

What is the version of virus scan & DAT ?

What is the version & cipher strength of your internet explorer?

moving thread to virus scan 13-2009

Regards,

Dinesh K

Treau
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Operating system: Vista

I've had the computer for  around 13 months now

McAfee security center version 13.15

DAT: 5854.0000

Internet explorer 7

Cipher strength 256 bits

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Hi ,

Thanks for the requested information, please follow the below steps:

Check and delete if you have any other antivirus software in programs & features or C:/program files and common files.

Open Internet explorer , click tools - internet options , from advanced tab; click reset and press OK

Close all programs and restart the computer.

open security center and click on scan.

if you get the error again - Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key , from the advanced boot option menu select safe mode and try to perfrom scan in safe mode

Kindly report back on the status.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Treau
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

the first checks of other antivirus, reseting internet options was done with  mcafee help the other day, I just did the scan in safe mode and the problem is still there. Scan stops working correctly around 40%.

This started around a month ago when the program was renewed with my 2 year subscription.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Is the scan stopping at any particular location everytime,?

if so navigate to that location, right click on that file and click scan and check whether you receive the error

Regards,

Dinesh K

Treau
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

this was done and the file that the scan stops everytime does not show any problems when its scanned alone.

Treau
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Earlier I deleted the file that was causing problem, runned the scan again, file does not exist anymore on my computer et scan still stops at that file. The thing is, like I said, file does not exist on my computer anymore.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Hi Treau,

Contact technical support chat through http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT , they would be able to find out the exact cause and resolve this issue.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Treau
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Like I said on another thread, talked too technical support twice, they couldn't find the problem, I don't think they will if I try for a third time.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community